lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-29-2020, 03:05 PM   #1
brpeddicord
Not Yet Wild

Default Voltage Reducer and Charger

I have a 36volt cart but I have 6-8 volt batteries. The batteries are good so I want to wait to get new 6 volt batteries to get back to 36 volts. Previous owner has 2 batteries in parallel so cart is running on 40 volts. Didn't come with a charger so I'm assuming they either charged them separately or put all the batteries back in series and charged with a 48 volt charger. 2 questions:

1: Should I get a 36 or 48 volt reducer to 12 volts to run the lights/horn? Will there be any issues with the reducer while charging the 48 volt pack if I need a 36 volt reducer?

2: Can I plug in the 48 volt charger into the 36 volt connector to charge the cart or should I use a different type of charger to connect directly to the pack?

I realize that replacing the batteries to 36 volts would resolve all of this but I don't have an extra $800 laying around for new batteries just yet.
brpeddicord is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-29-2020, 03:21 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Voltage Reducer and Charger

1. Check the label on the reducer, most of them run on a wide range of voltages. IE 24V to 56V

2. The charger must, repeat MUST, match the voltage of the individual battery or of the battery pack it is charging and I've never seen, nor heard, of a 40V battery charger.

Are all 6 of the 8V batteries the same AH rating?

IF so, they can be connected in series for 48V, but the controller and solenoid have to be rated for 48V.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:25 PM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

What cart do you have? You have to get a charger anyway so it might be less than $800 to convert this cart to 48 volts and upgrade it.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:41 PM   #4
brpeddicord
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
1. Check the label on the reducer, most of them run on a wide range of voltages. IE 24V to 56V

2. The charger must, repeat MUST, match the voltage of the individual battery or of the battery pack it is charging and I've never seen, nor heard, of a 40V battery charger.

Are all 6 of the 8V batteries the same AH rating?

IF so, they can be connected in series for 48V, but the controller and solenoid have to be rated for 48V.

All are 8 volt Trojan batteries. My plan was to charge them as a 48 volt pack then put two batteries back in parallel to get to 40 volts to run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2020, 03:41 PM   #5
brpeddicord
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
What cart do you have? You have to get a charger anyway so it might be less than $800 to convert this cart to 48 volts and upgrade it.

06 txt 2+2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO