lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-29-2020, 03:10 PM   #1
Jacobmarquez
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2014 EZGO TXT 48V Speed upgrade

So I'm kind of new to upgrading golf carts. I recently purchased a 2014 EZGO TXT 48v, but it only has a top speed of 15 mph with 1 person on and 13/14 mph with mulitple people on. I've seen on other forums were people say to program the controller into freedom mode to allow speeds up to 19.5 mph. The issue I am having is that I called mulitple dealerships in my area to get it programmed, and all but one said they could do it. The one dealership said that due to me not having my switch(FNR) on the dash, it could not be programmed and in order to speed it up I would need a new motor, wire harness, and controller. Is this true?? Are there certain models that can't be upgraded like he suggested?

Thanks in advance.
Jacobmarquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-29-2020, 11:05 PM   #2
Jacobmarquez
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2014 EZGO TXT 48V Speed upgrade

BobBoyce, can you upgrade the controllers in the txt? It’s all stock currently, but I want to put a 4 inch lift kit and 22” tires. If the stock controller can’t handle that I might do 20” rims and a smaller lift kit.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:19 AM   #3
WKUWIZ
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

SO you called teh dealerships and they all (sans one) said they could do it? Why don't you just take it in?
My 2017 48v TXT goes 18-19 stock after the code was flashed (or whatever you call it).
Why not have it done?
WKUWIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:44 AM   #4
Jacobmarquez
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I guess what had me questioning it was the fact that the others just asked what kind of cart I had (ezgo txt), but the dealer who said no asked me more specific questions about my cart and made it seem like there was no other option but to get a different cart or swap out the motor harness and controller. Maybe that dealer just didn't want to mess with it and just gave me these excuses as to why I couldn't? I need to see what kind of controller I have, maybe that would help answer my questions.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:25 AM   #5
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobmarquez View Post
I guess what had me questioning it was the fact that the others just asked what kind of cart I had (ezgo txt), but the dealer who said no asked me more specific questions about my cart and made it seem like there was no other option but to get a different cart or swap out the motor harness and controller. Maybe that dealer just didn't want to mess with it and just gave me these excuses as to why I couldn't? I need to see what kind of controller I have, maybe that would help answer my questions.
Do NOT take it to a dealer, which will plug a passkey into it to step it up to Freedom mode. The dealer doing that reduces your torque by an additional 12%, making your total torque loss 40%! You'll have a 1206HB-5201 controller in a 2014 TXT48. It can be removed and mailed to me for the reprogramming. I prefer Freedom mode not be turned on with a passkey because I have to undo those changes before I can reprogram it. I can enable Freedom mode with a click of a mouse without that torque loss. Besides, most dealers charge $100 or more to use their passkey, because it costs them one use each time they use it.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:31 AM   #6
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobmarquez View Post
I'LL offer this: Assuming your cart is a 2014 TXT, it is easy to speed up some. Any EZGO dealer should be able to do it. An electronic key speeds it up to 17.5 mph and then a hand held scanner is used to unlock 19.6 mph. Only takes a minute and could be done with the cart on a trailer if needed. Dealer has to buy that equipment so there will be a charge for this. $100 would be reasonable but $250 would be a price gouge IMO. These speeds assume standard 18" tall tires. 20" tires (not wheels) would give a little more speed. 21-22 maybe on the flats.

Regarding the pessimistic/contrary dealer. His answer had elements of truth in it but was misleading. When speaking of TXTs which first entered market in 1996 there were in some years 3 versions of the electric golf model. One way to distinguish between them quickly was the location of the F/R switch. "series" carts of that era required motor, controller etc change to get significant improvement. "sepex" carts of that era would respond to a controller change only. Those carts had the F/R switch on the dash. All this is history now because in 2010 EZGO went to 48v and modern Curtis sepex controllers that are adjusted as explained above. Also in an effort to confuse things even more, EZGO moved the F/R switch back to the area by your knee like to old series/dcs carts. I though this was in 2016 but may have been 2014. So the contrary dealer may be in a time warp and not really up to speed on the current carts. Might not see a lot of them for various reasons.

Bottom line. Take the cart to the dealer most convenient with the cheapest fee. Avoid the contrary dealer.

For future readers this thread applies to the TXT but the RXV is the same as far as dealer capabilities for controller unlock at least up until 2018 models and assumes carts with FLA batteries. Lithium carts (elite models) may be different.

Edit: or have Bob do the controller (better) if you can
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:50 AM   #7
Jacobmarquez
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Do NOT take it to a dealer, which will plug a passkey into it to step it up to Freedom mode. The dealer doing that reduces your torque by an additional 12%, making your total torque loss 40%! You'll have a 1206HB-5201 controller in a 2014 TXT48. It can be removed and mailed to me for the reprogramming. I prefer Freedom mode not be turned on with a passkey because I have to undo those changes before I can reprogram it. I can enable Freedom mode with a click of a mouse without that torque loss. Besides, most dealers charge $100 or more to use their passkey, because it costs them one use each time they use it.
That sounds great. I am in contact with Jeff currently to get my controller sent off to you Bob. Do you recommend 20'' tires as the biggest upgrade with the stock controller?
Old 06-30-2020, 08:52 AM   #8
Jacobmarquez
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
I'LL offer this: Assuming your cart is a 2014 TXT, it is easy to speed up some. Any EZGO dealer should be able to do it. An electronic key speeds it up to 17.5 mph and then a hand held scanner is used to unlock 19.6 mph. Only takes a minute and could be done with the cart on a trailer if needed. Dealer has to buy that equipment so there will be a charge for this. $100 would be reasonable but $250 would be a price gouge IMO. These speeds assume standard 18" tall tires. 20" tires (not wheels) would give a little more speed. 21-22 maybe on the flats.

Regarding the pessimistic/contrary dealer. His answer had elements of truth in it but was misleading. When speaking of TXTs which first entered market in 1996 there were in some years 3 versions of the electric golf model. One way to distinguish between them quickly was the location of the F/R switch. "series" carts of that era required motor, controller etc change to get significant improvement. "sepex" carts of that era would respond to a controller change only. Those carts had the F/R switch on the dash. All this is history now because in 2010 EZGO went to 48v and modern Curtis sepex controllers that are adjusted as explained above. Also in an effort to confuse things even more, EZGO moved the F/R switch back to the area by your knee like to old series/dcs carts. I though this was in 2016 but may have been 2014. So the contrary dealer may be in a time warp and not really up to speed on the current carts. Might not see a lot of them for various reasons.

Bottom line. Take the cart to the dealer most convenient with the cheapest fee. Avoid the contrary dealer.

For future readers this thread applies to the TXT but the RXV is the same as far as dealer capabilities for controller unlock at least up until 2018 models and assumes carts with FLA batteries. Lithium carts (elite models) may be different.

Edit: or have Bob do the controller (better) if you can
Thanks for all this information. This is my first cart, and I'm new to all of this. Trying to gain some knowledge along the way so this is great info.

Thanks again!
Old 09-01-2023, 11:04 AM   #9
tstafford
Not Yet Wild

Bob I'm interested in having you do my 1206hb-5201 controller.
tstafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 11:06 AM   #10
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

If you are looking for Bob Boyce he hasn’t logged on since 11/21..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO