lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-05-2020, 10:08 PM   #1
Greg_gourley
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default No reverse do I need a new controller?

I have a 2005 ezgo 36V TXT PDS. It is not lifted. I have brand new batteries (6 weeks old) brand new complete 2 gauge wire kit, brand new standard duty solenoid and brand new diode and resistor on the solenoid. My cart runs fantastic in forward, it has the red “speed chip”, but after i have driven the cart a while and it heats up the reverse stops working. When I put it in reverse it sort of shutters and doesn’t move. After cooling down the reverse will work again until heating up again. I have sort of ignored the problem but lately it is happening sooner and sometimes even when completely cool. Could someone Please help me determine what I need to check/replace? I’m new to golf carts and picked this one up from a friend for next to nothing and added all the new stuff to it myself as well as new wheels/tires and painting it. I’m enjoying my new hobby and I would love to get a new upgraded controller but I want to make sure I’m doing the right thing as they are expensive as you all know. Thanks for taking time to read any help is appreciated
Greg_gourley is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-06-2020, 11:29 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: No reverse do I need a new controller?

Other than having voltage on the wire that tells the controller to do reverse and the direction the motor's armature rotates, the only difference between forward and revers is the direction the amps flow through the field windings. The PDS controller defaults to forward, so we know the controller isn't losing the voltage that tells it to do reverse since the cart shudders and tries to go backwards.

That says the low power portion of the controller that sends power to the field windings is overheating in reverse, so you need to replace the controller.

Replace it with an Alltrax XCT48400-PDS (or larger) and the top speed will increase to about 24MPH (on 18" tall tires), or if that is too fast, the top speed can be turned down, the XCT is user programmable.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:31 PM   #3
Greg_gourley
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

You are the man JohnnieB. I had the feeling that was it. I’ve never been so happy to have a broken part now I can buy a new controller. I might as well buy a 7th battery since mine are new and a new 42 volt charger and move up to 42volt. As others have recommended in the forum I will contact Scotty at carts unlimited. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:05 PM   #4
Greg_gourley
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Does anyone have a recommendation of where to purchase an alltrax controller at a good price? I have contacted Scotty at cartsunlimited but he says he is unable to Split the cost across 2 payment methods I need to use. I have 2 prepaid Master Cards That I received as gifts that I Would like to use. Thanks
Old 07-06-2020, 03:04 PM   #5
Kyle.brown669
Not Yet Wild

I was going to get the SR48500 controller but they are all out of stock.
Kyle.brown669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:11 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle.brown669 View Post
I was going to get the SR48500 controller but they are all out of stock.
The SR is a "series" controller, not the Sepex controller that this thread is about. Not cross-compatible. And, in your case, if your lacking reverse, its 99.9% NOT the controller .
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO