lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-08-2020, 03:34 PM   #1
Tech_East
Not Yet Wild

Default Newbie Member with EZGO ?'s

Hey all...just joined today to "educate" myself as much as possible since I am a newbie at carts and will be purchasing a new cart in the coming week or two. I have been lurking for a few days and read some threads to try and learn a thing or two. The deal is this...I will be purchasing an EZGO electric model cart from a dealer in the next week or two and I am pretty sure when I called a few months ago they sell "used" RXV models. Basically they are plain jane models and they mod them up to how you specifically want them done (body color, seats, lift, wheels, etc). I will be buying one with a few mods that I want done immediately like certain body color, certain seat color, lift and wheels and roof extension to cover the back seating area.

My specific question is concerning speed (of course as you are prob thinking). Should I attempt to get specific speed work done while I am purchasing the cart (for example freedom mode, passkey, etc) or wait until I get the cart and see if someone can tune the controller as I have read in quite a few threads here on this forum? Any idea how much, rough ballpark figure, I should be willing to pay for a few of these speed tunes while at the dealer such as "freedom mode"? Another question that I have is should I be looking specifically at the RXV models or is there another model that is just as easy to tune for speed?

Apologize in advance for the first time beginner / stupid question but just trying to prepare myself with knowledge so dealer does not attempt to take advantage of me and tells me that he "turned it up" charge me 1k bucks and really didn't do anything.

Thanks and happy to be a part of the cart community here at BGW!
Tech_East is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-08-2020, 04:57 PM   #2
Reddawg454
Grumpy Old Guy

Club Car

Default Re: Newbie Member with EZGO ?'s

Welcome!
Reddawg454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:12 PM   #3
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Please tell how you intend to use the cart. Street, hunting, golf etc. The RXV ,2012 and up with Curtis controllers, can be tuned depending on tire size, and your location. Suggest you don't let the dealer do anything to the controller until we/you know what your goal is.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:53 AM   #4
Tech_East
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddawg454 View Post
Welcome!
Thank you!
Old 09-09-2020, 07:55 AM   #5
Tech_East
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
Please tell how you intend to use the cart. Street, hunting, golf etc. The RXV ,2012 and up with Curtis controllers, can be tuned depending on tire size, and your location. Suggest you don't let the dealer do anything to the controller until we/you know what your goal is.
Thank you for your reply and assistance. Our intentions for the cart are 99% street and 1% field (as use only for a shortcut to another street...lol).
Old 09-09-2020, 12:17 PM   #6
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Speaking in general terms, carts with AC motors are more powerful and efficient than there DC motored versions. AC carts are available from EZGO, Club Car, Yamaha and also some China brands.
Conversion from DC to AC is also possible. Navitas makes a nice kit but I have no personal experience with it. Not cheap!

As to the RXV specifically, it has been in production since 2008. They were equipped with Danaher controllers until 2012 when EZGO switched to Curtis controllers. All electric RXVs are AC and include limited slip Differential. Danaher support has pretty much disappeared so the Curtis versions are much more desirable.

RXV speed can be adjusted by the dealer (or anyone with the right equipment) to a max speed of 19-20 mph on the factory equipped 18" tall tires (tires not wheels). This speed is max allowed by Federal statute which the big 3 manufactures follow. The RXV will accept tires up to 20-21" tall without a lift and fools the controller allowing speeds up approx. 22-23 mph. This adjustment is safe and reliable.

For speeds higher than this a controller change is required for Club Car and Yamaha as their controllers are not tune-able as of now far as I know. The Curtis controllers in RXVs can be tuned to allow speeds in the low 30s. Far as I know there is only one person (Bob Boyce) who can do this correctly. He has tuned my cart so I can recommend him. You have to get the cart to him or him to the cart so unless you live in the southeast this option may not be available. Bob travels some but I don't know his travel limits.

Lifted carts with tires taller than 20.5" changes the game some. I think most people would recommend the Curtis 350amp controller in this situation. Some of these can be tuned by Bob also.

Other than the factory authorized controller unlock as described above, don't believe a dealer who claims he can hack the controller to get high speeds. There is a hack going around the dealer network that corrupts the controller but the controller won't fail for awhile. On a new cart EZGO can tell and won't honor the warranty and on a used cart, the dealers and or flippers give a very short warranty and will probably deny a controller claim in any case.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:44 PM   #7
Tech_East
Not Yet Wild

Kernal-

Thanks for all the information regarding DC to AC conversion and specifically about the RXV. After contacting the dealer I did find out some addt'l info regarding model year. The used RXV will either be a '16 or '17 so I assume that has the Curtis controller and speed upgrades are possible as you indicated.

I will not be keeping the tires / wheels stock and not exactly sure what I will be upgrading to but possibly a 14" wheel with 23x10 tires? Again...rookie at this so not entirely sure of the exact tire / wheel measurements. Also I inquired with the dealer about lifting and he said the RXV is already kinda high as it is so not sure he would recommend a lift. I still think I want a lift along with upgraded tire / wheel combo just because I like the stance and look. Not sure if you have any specific recommendations as far as that goes.....

Dealer also said he can show me a Valor since that is a relatively newer model but I won't be able to get any speed increase out of that model like the RXV and also that the braking is different. As far as speed goes...he did say he can upgrade the speed from the stock of 19mph to somewhere around 23 or 24 as well.

I will be going out to the dealer in the next day or two in order to firm up selection of body colors / seat colors / accessories so I appreciate all your assistance.

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2020, 03:17 PM   #8
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech_East View Post
Kernal-

Thanks for all the information regarding DC to AC conversion and specifically about the RXV. After contacting the dealer I did find out some addt'l info regarding model year. The used RXV will either be a '16 or '17 so I assume that has the Curtis controller and speed upgrades are possible as you indicated.

I will not be keeping the tires / wheels stock and not exactly sure what I will be upgrading to but possibly a 14" wheel with 23x10 tires? Again...rookie at this so not entirely sure of the exact tire / wheel measurements. Also I inquired with the dealer about lifting and he said the RXV is already kinda high as it is so not sure he would recommend a lift. I still think I want a lift along with upgraded tire / wheel combo just because I like the stance and look. Not sure if you have any specific recommendations as far as that goes.....

Dealer also said he can show me a Valor since that is a relatively newer model but I won't be able to get any speed increase out of that model like the RXV and also that the braking is different. As far as speed goes...he did say he can upgrade the speed from the stock of 19mph to somewhere around 23 or 24 as well.

I will be going out to the dealer in the next day or two in order to firm up selection of body colors / seat colors / accessories so I appreciate all your assistance.

Thanks!
The Valor is essentially a factory lifted TXT. Electric version has DC motor and can be programed by Bob so some degree i think but not like the RXV. Has conventional rear drum brakes unlike the RXV which has NO wheel brakes. RXV braking is done by the motor (regen) and has an automatic parking brake.

21" tall tires can fit an RXV without a lift. Stock controller will work but won't be real happy with taller tires. Bob recommends 20.5" max. As the tires size drifts farther from the 18" tall standard tires, braking is affected. The controller runs everything including braking and it doesn't know the diameter of the tires. Bob can compensate some but I'll bet he would recommend the bigger Curtis controller for 23" tires.

Here is a picture of mine. 2012 with 2016 body. 14" wheels with 20.5" tall tires. No lift. Bob tune including adjustments to accel and regen braking. 32mph on level pavement and doesn't take long to get there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0631.jpg (612.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-09-2020, 03:23 PM   #9
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Also make sure the dealer means the cart will do 23-24 mph after the "freedom" unlock (a two step process) and the taller tires making up for the 5mph difference over the 19+ freedom speed.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:23 PM   #10
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Welcome to the world of golf carts.
Spend as much time as you can on this forum. Trust me this group knows every in and out of e z go’s and will steer you away from the pitfalls made from others in the past.
Only add one minor question.
Do you plan or have ability to do your own maint. On your new cart? If planing too it can also influence what model you get.

Example that Kernal brought up. Txt has mechanical shoe/drum brakes. A system most shade tree mechanic or auto tech can service if having a problem.
Rxv, being electronic braking via regen force is going to take someone with specific knowledge of the electronics to troubleshoot repair.

Mainly realize there are different types of drive systems out there. One may be better suited for your purpose and intended use or it may not matter.
Read up and ask questions.😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO