lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-10-2020, 01:07 PM   #11
Tech_East
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Newbie Member with EZGO ?'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
The Valor is essentially a factory lifted TXT. Electric version has DC motor and can be programed by Bob so some degree i think but not like the RXV. Has conventional rear drum brakes unlike the RXV which has NO wheel brakes. RXV braking is done by the motor (regen) and has an automatic parking brake.

21" tall tires can fit an RXV without a lift. Stock controller will work but won't be real happy with taller tires. Bob recommends 20.5" max. As the tires size drifts farther from the 18" tall standard tires, braking is affected. The controller runs everything including braking and it doesn't know the diameter of the tires. Bob can compensate some but I'll bet he would recommend the bigger Curtis controller for 23" tires.

Here is a picture of mine. 2012 with 2016 body. 14" wheels with 20.5" tall tires. No lift. Bob tune including adjustments to accel and regen braking. 32mph on level pavement and doesn't take long to get there.
kernal-

Thanks for the detailed info on the valor. After learning about it I will def be sticking with the RXV.

Good info on the tires as well. I will advise the dealer to stick with 20.5" tires and prob refrain from doing any sort of lift (can always do that later anyway). Thanks for the picture...I really like the color and setup of your RXV. Hoping I may be able to get mine "up to speed" like yours as well :)
Tech_East is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-10-2020, 01:08 PM   #12
Tech_East
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
Also make sure the dealer means the cart will do 23-24 mph after the "freedom" unlock (a two step process) and the taller tires making up for the 5mph difference over the 19+ freedom speed.
Good thought and something I must have glossed over. I will be sure to inquire with the dealer exactly what he is stating as far as the speed improvements with the "freedom" unlock even after upgrading the tires.
Old 09-10-2020, 01:12 PM   #13
Tech_East
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra,1 View Post
Welcome to the world of golf carts.
Spend as much time as you can on this forum. Trust me this group knows every in and out of e z go’s and will steer you away from the pitfalls made from others in the past.
Only add one minor question.
Do you plan or have ability to do your own maint. On your new cart? If planing too it can also influence what model you get.

Example that Kernal brought up. Txt has mechanical shoe/drum brakes. A system most shade tree mechanic or auto tech can service if having a problem.
Rxv, being electronic braking via regen force is going to take someone with specific knowledge of the electronics to troubleshoot repair.

Mainly realize there are different types of drive systems out there. One may be better suited for your purpose and intended use or it may not matter.
Read up and ask questions.😊
Cobra,1-

I can "most likely" complete some minor repairs and upgrades but I am far from an experienced mechanic:) I am ok with the RXV braking being electronic and requiring intervention from someone more experienced than myself (dealer for example). The dealer / repair is not that far away so if need be I can schedule and appointment without issue. Thanks for the information and inquiry...really appreciate it!
Old 09-11-2020, 01:10 AM   #14
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

I recommend that you do not have the dealer turn on Freedom mode. If the dealer does that, it reduces motor torque by an additional 12%, for a total of 40% reduction in torque! With larger tires, you will actually lose top end speed from the additional torque loss, unles you are going downhill. When I reprogram the controller, I enable Freedom mode without the torque loss, and get rid of the existing torque loss programmed in by the factory. The dealer charge to activate Freedom mode is just wasted money. It costs me nothing to enable it.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:13 AM   #15
Tech_East
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
I recommend that you do not have the dealer turn on Freedom mode. If the dealer does that, it reduces motor torque by an additional 12%, for a total of 40% reduction in torque! With larger tires, you will actually lose top end speed from the additional torque loss, unles you are going downhill. When I reprogram the controller, I enable Freedom mode without the torque loss, and get rid of the existing torque loss programmed in by the factory. The dealer charge to activate Freedom mode is just wasted money. It costs me nothing to enable it.

Bob
Wow...all great information Bob and really appreciate you responding in explaining that in detail...super helpful!

I'd love to be able to get my cart (once purchased, plan on going out to the dealer today to purchase) in your hands to fully program whatever needs to be done. I'm up in the mid-atlantic so not sure if you ever make it up here but maybe we can work something else out?

Also, would you suggest I stop at the 20.5" tires for the largest or can I go a little bigger than that? I will find out from the dealer today what specific tire / wheel package he offers.

Thanks again for your assistance...I have read many threads where your information has been super helpful to members here...
Old 09-13-2020, 08:13 AM   #16
Tech_East
Not Yet Wild

Just wanted to report back and let those that have commented so far on my thread that I went out to the dealer this past Fri and placed my order:)

I will be getting a used 2017 RXV with several upgrade options. Some of them include tire / wheel package (14" rhox terminators with cobra 225/30R14 low profile tires). If I used the tire conversion calculator correctly I believe that puts me at a 19.3" tire height. Hoping that will be ok in regards to speed tuning, etc. Body color will be metallic grey with black seats and extended roof cover.

Dealer said it will be another 2 to 3 weeks most likely as they are waiting for some various body color parts to come in. As per the recommendation from Bob in the previous post I advised them to do nothing as far as speed increase goes. Not sure what size controller it will be coming with as I forgot to ask. I've been watching some YT vids on aftermarket controllers with control knobs to adjust speed which look interesting.

Just wanted to keep all those that may be interested up to date:)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO