lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-14-2020, 04:46 PM   #11
handtools
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Upgrade motor?

I would say they are just covering their *** with that response. I've been running my EZ GO 36v motor on 48v for 8 years.
handtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-14-2020, 06:42 PM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtools View Post
I would say they are just covering their *** with that response. I've been running my EZ GO 36v motor on 48v for 8 years.
Maybe it is a CYA type answer, but they may have pushed a stock series motor (73124G02) to the ragged edge of performance at 36V, so going to 48V might push it over the that edge.

A SR48400 will pass 460A peak, which is 17,572W with a fully charged 36V pack (38.2V) and 23,414W with a fully charged 48V pack (50.9V). That additional 6kW might be enough to let the magic smoke out of the motor.

On the other hand, a SR48300 passes 345A peak, which is 17,560W with a 48V pack, or slightly less than what a SR48400 could hit the motor with from a 36V pack. That might give it more top end without as much danger of burning out the motor by flooring the pedal on takes off or while at low speeds.

Food for thought and maybe another email to EMP.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:48 PM   #13
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Also, maybe it was modified for more speed on 36v, and they know it will exceed it's safe speed on 48v. Just another possibility, as I didnt find anything on that motor with a quick search.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:23 PM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Also, maybe it was modified for more speed on 36v, and they know it will exceed it's safe speed on 48v. Just another possibility, as I didnt find anything on that motor with a quick search.

I keep forgetting series controllers don't have RPM limiting like modern sepex controllers do.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:17 PM   #15
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
That’s sorta what I was thinking. The internals look pretty beefy but I don’t want to smoke it. I’ll just stick with a new 36v pack and call it a day. It will still do close to 20mph (for a short time) even with bad batteries on the larger tires. Saves some cash and it needs a roof and back seat anyways :)

Thanks for the help gents!
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 01:06 AM   #16
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

If it were modified for "high speed", it's a terrible match for 23" tires, and itll "fry" soon. (Unless you gear the axle to allow the motor to live in the rpm range its happy with). High speed motors & big tires costs "parts money" soon, heat will kill the armature..

Trust me, I tried it. At the customers specific request, against my advice. That one eventually got converted to V-twin gas, at great expense. Yes, that's possible, it costs alot, and requires a gas "parts car".
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO