lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-14-2014, 03:27 PM   #1
needavdub
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 3PG Marathon drive clutch not disengaging?

So I finally got my 3PG powered 1990 Ezgo marathon running. But it's acting like the drive belt is too tight, it starts moving forward when the starter engages and I can't push the cart around without it turning the engine over. I looked up the numbers on the belt and it shows to be the correct part. And I when I ran the motor with no belt on it the drive clutch would open and close as I revved the engine. I removed the plastic cover from the clutch and I can't see much. Has anyone else had this problem? I hate to have to buy an entire clutch after I just spent $175 having the starter/gen rebuilt.

Thanks
needavdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-14-2014, 04:34 PM   #2
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 3PG Marathon drive clutch not disengaging?

I would start by checking the belt to confirm it is at factory specs.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:46 PM   #3
redcloud
Gone Wild

The drive clutch may be opening and closing but is it opening far enough to let the belt free up when it is on? Drive clutch is the idler for the belt and driven clutch loosens due to looser drive. Did you notice that the belt is on the top of driven clutch when you slow down and stop the cart?
My guess is a dirty or warn drive clutch that is sticking closed a bit. You can get parts for it if need also but would have to take apart to see.
My thinking on the problem.
redcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:58 AM   #4
needavdub
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks guys, I'm going to double check the belt size again tomorrow on my day off but I'm still pretty sure it's an OEM belt size. There seems to be plenty of slack in the belt, the issue seems to be the drive clutch (one on the engine) is not opening all the way at rest and grabbing the sides of the belt. Is it possible that me running it and revving it with no belt installed made it stick too far closed? I did a bit of reading and it looks like removing the clutch myself might be hard because I don't have the removal tool. I should mention that the belt wasn't installed when I bought the cart so I don't know if it worked prior to me owning it. I already know that the previous owner was less than 100% honest because he said it wasn't getting fuel and should be a "simple fix" when in reality the starter/gen was completely smoked and the engine ran fine.
needavdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:11 PM   #5
redcloud
Gone Wild

You can make your own removal tool for the drive clutch. check this forum for details. I made mine and it worked great but I can not seem to find it right now in my shop. But I believe this is what i did.

I think all you need is a 2" x 3/4" fine thread bolt. and a 3" long x 5/8" solid stock shaft. ( a couple of deep well sockets also work) beats buying one for twenty five bucks. bolt only cost you a couple of bucks. stick the shaft down the tube (hollow shaft) then screw the bolt in. tighten. should start to pop off the taper. good luck. just trying to save you a few bucks.

This is a quote from another guy on the forum.
redcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO