lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-22-2015, 08:48 PM   #1
bjbbiker
Getting Wild

Default "New to me" cart purchase with no batteries

I used to have a 94.5 EZGO a couple years ago with a jakes and 22" tires and would limp around my neighborhood like a retired greyhound. So I cant stress enough how frustrating that build was, did everything wrong starting off with a home made fabricated lift i had to scrap because it was so flimsy and draining the batteries to a point that it would die on a trip to the local sonic after going less than a couple miles.

Fast fwd to today, moved to a new community in Phoenix that has a ton of people who get around on cart and am ready for another build. Just found a cart sans batteries. First question is what would be the best way to test this cart and make sure the motor at least works in addition to the lights, etc.? Take it to a local cart mechanic and have them look it over? Do most shops have the ability to throw some juice to it and make sure all the wires are where they should be? After initial inspection of the cart, how much grease or build up should be on the rear differential? Would this be an easy repair or something that might be a deal breaker?

Say the inspection goes according to plan and I decide to purchase the new rig (36v series txt) what are the baby steps to getting the cart to where I want (long travel lift, convert to 48v, 5 heavy passengers will be the typical load on flat surface streets)? Which batteries should I go with? Ive read a bunch of replies about how critical battery break in is but havent seen an exact protocol. Is there a thread that plays it out like a recipe book? And what should be the first purchase to compliment the batteries as I start the build (cables, HD F/R, controller)? I dont want to do this all at once so dont know the right priority of purchasing. After the initial 36v pack dies out I eventually want to convert to 48v so what items would carry over to that build so I am not wasting resources?

Thanks in advance for the help.
bjbbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-22-2015, 08:56 PM   #2
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: "New to me" cart purchase with no batteries

There is no way I would be forking money over for a 36 volt cart that needs batteries if I had the slightest idea of adding all that stuff and later converting to 48 volts.... Just going to be pouring money down the drain...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:21 PM   #3
bjbbiker
Getting Wild

Why do you say that? I get a super cheap cart i can start small eith and the fam can enjoy now rather than later. Are you daying if i know i eventually want to have a 48v cart to go straight for the 48v conversion? Mainly I want to.know how identify if I am.getting a.POS electric system before starting the project.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:41 PM   #4
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you don't know much about carts the only way to know if your getting a POS or not is going to be for you to take to a shop that can check it over for you and test by installing a set of batteries....

Batteries are a big investment and are expected to last many years as much as 5 or 6 years... In the 36 volt cart you will have to purchase six 6 volt batteries and in a 48 volt cart you will be purchasing six 8 volt batteries....

A 36 volt cart is going to have a hell of a time with 4 heavy riders much less 5 (?) heavy riders. You also speak of a lift kit so I assume you intend on adding larger rims and tires? These will further rob a 36 volt cart of torque as well as range....
Old 12-22-2015, 09:58 PM   #5
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Add it up cost of cart now (1K?) + new batteries (800.00) to get going...

Then add another 1500.00 for the stuff needed to make the jump to 48 volts + plus new batteries (800.00) again....
Old 12-22-2015, 09:59 PM   #6
Epb
Gone Wild
Club Car

Just go straight to 48v. Charger and batteries off the starting line to match your future.
go to cartsunlimited and read his battery breakin process.
you are going to upgrade the pricey elec so dont fret micros....meaning dont worry about testing cart as is
test the motor with a battery charger, it will work with your future 48v setup
make sure the cart rolls easily and brakes work, check for slop in steering and look at ball joints
another thing have someone push it and you watch the wheels and see if the wheels roll "true"
finally is the body, supports, roof and seats acceptable
buy it, build it, enjoy it
e
Epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 10:46 PM   #7
bjbbiker
Getting Wild

Well I can get it for under 500 so initial investment seems pretty cheap. So can just buy 6x8v batteries and a.charger and power the original motor that way without any additional wiring if it is the same plug input to the charging recepticle?
Old 12-22-2015, 10:53 PM   #8
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbbiker View Post
Well I can get it for under 500 so initial investment seems pretty cheap. So can just buy 6x8v batteries and a.charger and power the original motor that way without any additional wiring if it is the same plug input to the charging recepticle?
Someone else will ask more detailed questions but generally the solenoid and controller will also need to be changed as they may NOT like the voltage increase....
Old 12-22-2015, 11:26 PM   #9
Epb
Gone Wild
Club Car

I thought i said you are going to upgrade the pricey elec stuff...
you were talking going to 48 later and i am saying bite the bullet off the bat.
Borrow some batteries to take for the test and keep it 36v

controller, solenoid, f&r, batteries, charger would be things changing to 48v later. Some controllers are 36-48 so u might get lucky

I did not suggest putting 48v into the existing system. You can run a 36v motor with 48v power.
Epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:09 AM   #10
Bubba75
My wife says I'm crazy...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epb View Post
Just go straight to 48v. Charger and batteries off the starting line to match your future.
Best advice you can get in my opinion. I've got a Gasser and dumped money into stock engine and clutches knowing that I eventually wanted to go big block. Would have been better off to do it right the first time.

Good luck!
Bubba75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO