lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-20-2016, 09:02 PM   #11
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Bad F N R Switch or controller?

That is for field weakening, here is some info:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ml#post1097304
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-20-2016, 09:58 PM   #12
ClubCar86
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks Sergio! I may just take that out. I do recall it helping on flat ground, but reading about it loosing torque makes sense.

I jacked the cart up tonight, put it on jack stands, reconnected the batteries and moved the F N R switch to F. The crackling and electrical sounds came from that switch when the contacts made contact. The wheels immediately began to spin (again, no key in, and gas pedal was not pressed). went to "R" and again got crackling and popping at the FNR switch. There was even a quick flame. I did not check the voltage across the solenoid.

When power was disconnected, I pushed the gas pedal and heard all 5 switches click.
ClubCar86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:11 PM   #13
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The field weakening is OK if you remember to just run it when cruising on flat ground, that is why I suggested the self deactivating switch on that post.

As it was already mentioned, you have the main solenoid welded, that is the solenoid with no coils on top.

Since the motor is running, and causing the FNR to spark, You also have one of the other solenoids welded.

This should be your diagram:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...oid_wiring.jpg
Old 12-21-2016, 08:35 AM   #14
ClubCar86
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks Sergio, I ordered all new solenoids. Will just replace them all while I'm in there.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:28 AM   #15
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The F&R may also be compromised as popping, crackling, and flames all indicate contact material swapping locations which compromises their surfaces and leads to more popping and crackling....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 02:03 PM   #16
ClubCar86
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The F&R may also be compromised as popping, crackling, and flames all indicate contact material swapping locations which compromises their surfaces and leads to more popping and crackling....
I think those are fairly cheap, perhaps I should just replace that too. It could be an original?
Old 12-27-2016, 08:59 AM   #17
ClubCar86
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks to everyone on this thread. I replaced the 5 solenoids, and it was back up and running. Now it appears one of the limit switches is broken. My sypmtoms: 1) only hear 4 clicks when pressing the gas pedal, 2) lurches in the middle of accelerating, 3) reverse really lurches. I'm thinking its the #3 switch.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:19 AM   #18
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

If You are getting a little speed and then a quick increase, then You are probably right.

You can test the voltage on the solenoids positive activation wires with the key switch OFF and the cart in neutral.

Just put the meter negative probe on the Pack Negative battery post, the positive side is always hot in the input side of the micro-switches in that model.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:00 PM   #19
ClubCar86
Gone Wild

Club Car

Sergio, I finally got around to testing the voltage on the solenoids from the micro-switches this evening. See below for my notes. I'm calling solenoid #1, the first one on the driver's side.

# 36v after Click#
1: 1,2,3,4
2: 1,2,3,4
3: 1,2,3,4
4: 3,4
5: 1,2,3,4

So after one pressing the pedal and hearing 1 click, I got 36v on solenoids 1-3 and 5, the reading stayed the same after click #2, then on click #3 and 4, I got readings on all solenoids (solenoid 4 got a reading).

All the microswitches are in a little aluminum box up in front of the batteries, Maybe something is loose in there? I'll attack that next. Is there any adjustment that can be made wrt the pedal and the switches?
Old 01-15-2017, 02:35 PM   #20
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I think your meter is reading the voltage across the activated solenoid, through the un-powered negative common connection and across to the positive side of the other ones you are testing.

You should have noticed less voltage than the active one, but maybe you have a high impedance meter.

You can test it again by putting the FNR in neutral and the Key switch ON.

Reach with your finger and manually engage the micro-switch on the FNR.

That will provide the negative side to the solenoids so they will actually close, but with the FNR in Neutral, the cart will not move.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car