lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-14-2019, 08:59 AM   #1
J-ROB
Out to Lunch

Yamaha

Default My G2 Build

Hi all, some of you have chimed in on some of my threads where I have asked some questions about my new to me G2. For that I thank you all

I now have more money in parts ordered than I paid for the cart to begin with. However I got the cart for a great price in overall great condition. Based on what I have seen with the price of Gas carts here in the Houston TX area, I am still not at a loss. Plus I have enjoyed the heck out of this cart the last few weeks. Now that the new has somewhat worn off, and I have gathered enough advice to get some upgrades on the way, I have the engine out of the cart to do some minor maintenance items and install some nice upgrades!

I bought the cart an '87 G2 from an older gentleman in Baytown TX, it had belonged to his mother-in-law who had passed earlier this year. It was her "Buzzy Bee" and was well cared for and never hot rodded. When I got it, the governor hadn't been messed with and it topped out at the 12mph stated in the manual. Runs smooth as silk, no backfires, no smoke, starts up every time within a second or two of hitting the gas pedal when cold.

Here is the cart the day I picked it up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1073 copy.jpg (349.2 KB, 0 views)
J-ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-14-2019, 09:01 AM   #2
J-ROB
Out to Lunch

Yamaha

Default Re: My G2 Build

Got it home and immediately started cruising the neighborhood, had a blast cruising around!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1076.jpg (154.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-14-2019, 09:07 AM   #3
J-ROB
Out to Lunch

Yamaha

When my wife and I got done cruising it that day I could smell the smell of oil burning on the hot engine, found some leaks around the valve cover. I intended to do a valve job any way so I went and got new tubing and some gasket material. Made a new valve cover gasket, adjusted the valves and replaced the rubber tube that oils the head as well as replaced the vacuum line between the air box and valve cover for good measure. Changed the oil with some 10W30 full synthetic for high mileage engines. I also cranked the governor up some to where I could do 19mph. She ran like a sewing machine. However, I still could smell the smell of oil burning when I got off the cart. I knew the oil fill neck was loose and could see where it was seeping from there, and could also see a lot of oil around the lower rubber hose that comes off the crank case and provides oil up to the head. I decided I wasn't ready to take it off the street yet so decided to watch the oil level closely and just enjoy it for a while. I already knew I wanted a lift and bigger wheels and tires. I figured I would just address the oil leaks once I had all of my upgrade parts on the way and take it off the road for a week or so then.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:13 AM   #4
J-ROB
Out to Lunch

Yamaha

I posted other threads where I got suspension recommendations, wheel and tire advice, wheel spacer advice, and advice on how to fix the oil fill neck. After another week of cruising on the fresh oil change, I decided to change the oil once more to see what kind of stuff came out after a week of having fresh oil in it. To my surprise the oil was pretty clean. The problem arose when I put the oil plug back in, it never tightened up. However it didn't leak either, so I continued using the cart for a few more days. We started taking the car with our dogs over to a big field near my neighborhood to let the dogs run around off leash. The cart did great off-road, but definitely confirmed that I was ready for my lift and bigger tires because the engine compartment was full of grass from it riding so low.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (169.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-14-2019, 09:30 AM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Love the G2/G9's

Best part about them is you don't see many of them, compared to DS's, TXT's, etc.

If you decide to put a roof on it, you're going to have very little luck finding a Yamaha roof for it. On my old G9 I used a roof from a club car. I got the roof itself from my local golf cart shop, it was removed from a club car DS. they had a trailer full of old take-off roofs behind the shop. Think I paid $10 for it. Then another member here donated a set of roof supports from a club car. It took very little modification to mount it to my G9 and worked great. Especially in the summer!

DS roofs are much easier to find than a G2/G9 roof will be. I've attached a picture so you can see how it mounts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190208_134155.jpg (740.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190208_13425.jpg (716.3 KB, 0 views)
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:36 AM   #6
J-ROB
Out to Lunch

Yamaha

At this point after receiving a lot of friendly advice from all of you here at BGW, I pulled the trigger on some items.

AllSports 7" Lift
SteelEng 12" Desert Steel Wheels with Stinger 22" A/T tires
2" Wheel Spacers (even if I don't need them, the stance looks cool)

One thing that was in the back of my mind was that the cart didn't climb as well as I felt like it should up some medium sloped hills, and I knew that with the bigger/heavier wheels and tires on there I felt like it might need a little extra oomph.

The clones/big blocks/V-Twins are all awesome and I commend those of you who enjoy this type of modding. If I lived in a different area and had two carts, I could see myself building a hot rod. However, my cart is used primarily to cruise around my neighborhood in the evening with a yeti cup with various liquids inside it. Presently I get smiles and waves from the neighbors and the occasional police vehicle that I pass. That being said, a hopped up, loud exhaust cart could possibly be the recipe to have my cruising privileges revoked, or at a minimum no longer receive the friendly smiles and waves from neighbors. I don't want any more attention than I already get!

After some reading and deliberation I called Don Plowman yesterday, what an incredible experience that was. It's rare these days to receive that type of customer service. As I sat next to the cart, Don asked me several questions regarding the condition of certain parts of my cart (Engine mounts, center alignment tensioner, and my clutches). He asked what the primary use of my cart was and about my future plans as far as adding a rear seat etc.

He made some recommendations about what I needed and discussed the pros and cons of some of the options with me, he was very thorough to make sure his parts would meet my expectations. I ended up going with a Plowman's Drive Clutch, a new rear clutch with his springs etc., new engine mounts, new center alignment tensioner, new belt, exhaust, carb jets and air filters, and clutch pullers. Best thing he shipped the same day I ordered!

My wheels arrive today, my lift this weekend, and plowman's parts hopefully this weekend or early next week.

In the mean time, I am going to give the engine a good de-greasing, fix the oil plug, filler neck, and replace the intake spacer gasket along with any other vacuum lines on the engine.

I have de-greased the engine compartment and will be removing the foam from the engine cradle area. I will then use some rustoleum to stop some of the minor corrosion on the frame and paint the spots that need paint.

I also have read here that grounding accessories to the frame rather than the battery can cause some intermittent issues with the electronic ignition at higher RPMs. While I haven't experienced this with mine, the headlights and tail lights are both grounded to the frame presently, which I will be re-wiring to ground them to the battery. One other electrical item I will address is that the Low Oil light was re-wired to work as a "Key on Indicator" I think the old lady that had it left it on a few times and asked the son-in-law to make the light come on when the key is on. Luckily the wiring harness was not hacked to accomplish this and all of the factory wiring is still in tact and not cut. I just simply have to remove the added wiring and re-connect the factory harness.

My buddy owns a custom graphics shop and has offered to wrap the cart for me for free, so I may load it up on a trailer Saturday and haul it to his shop so we can wrap it while it's apart.

I'll update the thread more when I make more progress here is the current state of the cart.

I look forward to hearing from you all as I go along with my build and it will be cool to document what I am doing for later reference.

Some of my future plans for the cart (once I recover from what I just spent on it this week) will be to add better quality head and tail/brake lights, blinkers and brake switch. I like the looks of the G2 headlights that you cut into the front body, but the reviews I have seen make me wary of them as people complain about how flimsy they are. I am curious if some of the complete light kits with blinkers brake switch etc that come with a pre-made harness could be adapted to work for the G2?

I also plan to add some form of stereo to the cart as well. I have been leaning towards an amp and speakers with bluetooth receiver as I don't really need AM/FM or a CD player.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:45 AM   #7
J-ROB
Out to Lunch

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Love the G2/G9's

Best part about them is you don't see many of them, compared to DS's, TXT's, etc.

If you decide to put a roof on it, you're going to have very little luck finding a Yamaha roof for it. On my old G9 I used a roof from a club car. I got the roof itself from my local golf cart shop, it was removed from a club car DS. they had a trailer full of old take-off roofs behind the shop. Think I paid $10 for it. Then another member here donated a set of roof supports from a club car. It took very little modification to mount it to my G9 and worked great. Especially in the summer!

DS roofs are much easier to find than a G2/G9 roof will be. I've attached a picture so you can see how it mounts

Thanks CP, I love the look of the older Yamaha carts, kinda equates to looking at a vintage car vs. the new ones. I like the straighter lines and less curvy look.

Thanks for the advice on the DS roof, I have a friend that has a warehouse a little south of me. They store a bunch of building materials there for renovating apartment complexes they own. Right outside the warehouse is a golf cart graveyard full of old Club Cars and EZNOs. They all once served the purpose of running around apartment complexes, some with utility beds for maintenance people and some with back seats for hauling around perspective tenants. My buddy that works out there will let me pick any parts I want for a bottle of Old Crow Whisky! I plan on getting my roof and rear seat there and modifying whatever I need to make them work!

Any tips on what rear seat kit may be the easiest to adapt to my G2?

Your G9 looks great BTW, how did you paint your roof? Any adhesion problems?
Old 11-14-2019, 10:51 AM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I believe there's only 1 maker of rear seats for the G2/G9. The one I had I robbed off of a G2 project I bought and started to put a 420 clone in it.

You'll definitely want to buy a G2/G9 specific rear seat. Most back seat kits sit back pretty close to the front seat back. If you made one of those work on it (which wouldn't be that difficult) you'd block access to the fuel filler lid. You'd be happy for a couple weeks until the first time you had to put gas in it The G2 seats I've seen run a bar between the seat back supports, and then attach more in the center of that bar, leaving access to get to the fuel door. All the ezgo and club car rear seat kits i've seen you'd completely bury it.

As for the roof, the only adhesion problems I had were when I would go extended periods of time with a generic enclosure on it (the type that drapes over the roof and goes down on all sides). Even then it wasn't bad, mostly just in the front corners from flapping in the wind. I cleaned it really well, and then cleaned it again with denatured alcohol. After that dried, sprayed a healthy amount of promoter and then satin black krylon fusion. I chose satin black because flat black just doesn't look good, looks a lot better with a little bit of sheen. And gloss black is too hard to touch up. Whenever i would have a little bit of wear, a quick spritz with some fresh satin black and you could never tell it was done. I never had any problems with the paint chipping, just wearing through it. I suppose if I had used clear coat, that would have taken the brunt of the canvas flapping but it took all of about 10 seconds to touch it up once every few months so it was never a big deal.

The roof supports I had were specifically from a club car carryall. The front the only modification I did was bending the 2 front mounts at the bottom a little bit less of an angle. The rear in the carryall is a big "hoop" like the front. So I simply cut the bottom of the "hoop" off where it runs underneath the seat backs so it was just 2 straight "candy canes". Then drilled a couple holes through them and the seat supports and bolted it in. very easy to do, and very very strong. I would use the roof supports to push it in and out of the garage and they didn't flex at all.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:56 AM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I think Modz is who makes the back seats for the G2/G9. Haven't seen any others, at least none that aren't cost prohibitive...
Old 11-14-2019, 12:11 PM   #10
J-ROB
Out to Lunch

Yamaha

CP, you're 100% right on the rear seat and fuel door, I hadn't thought about that. I'll wait until I am done with all of the current upgrades and repairs to start on the rear seat. I've spent enough already and don't want my wife asking too many questions with the boxes showing up.

Thanks for the tips on the roof, I will definitely be on the look out for a CC Carryall!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha