lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2021, 11:10 AM   #11
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: Upgrading to lithium battery

There is no more risk (unless these are "lifted" carts) to topple over than a gas cart. I would think that they would want a much lighter cart traveling over their golf course (less chance for rutting).
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-28-2021, 05:22 PM   #12
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

The only “balance” issue I’ve encountered with lithium is the weight difference. Yes ride is a bit harsher but not a ton. The bigger issue is with a back seat and people on the back, the weight distribution is disproportionately behind the rear axle. Without the extra 300lbs in FRONT of the axle to help balance it, the front end can get a little “light”. I haven’t gotten around to it yet because it’s not a “huge” problem, but when I take the front cowl off to repaint I’m planning to find a way to add some weight directly over the front axle. Steering gets a little squirrley on uneven terrain at higher (20+ mph) speeds because there isn’t enough weight in the front to firmly plant the front tires into the ground. I don’t think it will take a whole lot of weight to do it.

Granted, this would not be an issue on a course cart with just some clubs in the back. But the extra 150+ lbs of the rear seat itself (behind the axle) plus a few hundred lbs of people on the seat can create a bit of an issue.

Regardless I’ve never been remotely close to tipping it over. Just the occasional wheelie if I goose the gas pedal too hard
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 05:39 PM   #13
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Lifted carts with larger wheels are more likely to tip over on hard cornering due to the much higher CG. My carts have slightly larger wheels than stock but they feel very stable under normal driving which is all we do with it. CG is a bit higher with lithium vs FLA but the weight is far less which means the moment during cornering is not more so it feels nice and stable.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 06:56 AM   #14
Scobra1
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Tell them to slow down when cornering. Lol
Scobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 12:18 PM   #15
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
voltage as compared to lead acid battery (which is approximately 58V). Will it cause damage to the controller?
Just curious. Why is management worried about damage to your controller?
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 06:15 PM   #16
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

I would guess he maintains a fleet owned by the golf course and it is those carts that are being considered for a lithium conversion, hence the questions about safety and reliability.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 07:40 PM   #17
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scobra1 View Post
Tell them to slow down when cornering. Lol
There you go using common sense......
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 09:34 AM   #18
richmond
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
I would guess he maintains a fleet owned by the golf course and it is those carts that are being considered for a lithium conversion, hence the questions about safety and reliability.
You are right. I have been convincing my management to change to lithium as there is much lesser maintenance and labor cost.

After upgrading to lithium, the golf cart is slightly "higher" as the weight has been reduced and they "feel" unstable during cornering.

If it is stable at 20mph, I dont think my golf cart will flip as the maximum speed is capped at 15mph. However, they still asked me to proof that it is safe to upgrade to lithium as safety is the main conern.

Thanks all for your kind reply.
richmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 02:29 PM   #19
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Well.....I suppose you could always pour 50-100 lbs of concrete in the space that is freed up by going to lithium.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 05:51 PM   #20
WC53
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
Well.....I suppose you could always pour 50-100 lbs of concrete in the space that is freed up by going to lithium.
Water in the tires like tractors
WC53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car