lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2021, 06:33 PM   #1
hawaiidragracer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2014 EZGO RXV Solenoid questions

My 2014 EZGO RXV solenoid is marked as a TROMBETTA 684-3641-012-26. So it is a 36v solenoid even though my cart is 48v. When Bob programmed my cart, he said my solenoid was getting too hot and I needed to get a new one. I want to get a heavy duty one, I was looking at the CURTIS 180's. They seem a lot better, but they come in 36v and 48v. What is the difference between a 36v and a 48v solenoid? Do I have to get the 36v one since my current one says it is 36v? Bob programmed my controller to run 300 amps. The CURTIS ones say they are rated up to 500 amps, so they should not have any problem. Or are there better options for solenoids?
hawaiidragracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-15-2021, 06:42 PM   #2
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2014 EZGO RXV Solenoid questions

You have to go with a 36v solenoid unless you have a Programming Station or handheld to be able to go into the parameters and make an adjustment. A 36v solenoid and a 48v solenoid don't have the same pull holding percentage. You can go to a 48v solenoid you would just need to change the parameters.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:42 AM   #3
hawaiidragracer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Is the Curtis 180 solenoid a good way to go? Anyone have experience with these?
Old 06-16-2021, 10:25 AM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Sw180 is a good solenoid but you would be better off with the sw200. It will run cooler. As for voltage if Bob left the activation circuit set up for 36 volts you need to get the 36 volt model.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 10:19 AM   #5
hawaiidragracer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I am trying to replace my stock solenoid with a SW200 on my RXV. The new solenoid came with a 36v diode and resistor kit. It shows me where to install the diode on the SW200 solenoid and I am assuming that I need to install it. My stock solenoid does not have any diode or resister installed. I have no idea where to install the resistor or what it is for. It also came with another diode that is supposed to be for regen bypass. I am not sure if I need that or not either. Has anyone installed a SW200 solenoid on an RXV? If so, can you please post pics of how you wired it up. Also, when I check the voltage on the small black and red wires on my stock solenoid, I am getting 31v from the controller to activate solenoid. I am not getting 36 or 48. Bob programmed the controller before. I know he can set either 36 or 48 depending on what solenoid is installed. Should it be sending 31v or 36v? Could he have accidentally typed 31v instead of 36v? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg solenoid.jpg (145.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-26-2023, 11:17 AM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

SW200 should have a + mark on top of it. That lug connects to the pack positive set of wires. Other side goes to the controller. Don’t need the resistor or the diode.
Old 05-26-2023, 11:21 AM   #7
TheCartBoy
WARRANTY VOID

E-Z-GO

Diodes are put across the coil to suppress voltage spikes when the coil is deenergized, there is one built into the motor controller, but doesn't hurt to use an external one too. Make sure to get the polarity right, the diode should be blocking when the coil is being energized.
TheCartBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 12:46 PM   #8
hawaiidragracer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I ended up just attaching the 4 wires from the original solenoid to the SW200 without any diode or resistor or anything. It works fine. I think those other parts are made for DC carts. Since the RXV didn't have anything else hooked up to start with, it must not need them. I understand what the diode is for, but still don't know why DC carts would have a resistor placed across the 2 big terminals.
Old 05-26-2023, 12:49 PM   #9
hawaiidragracer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

thank you very much. I guess those parts are for DC carts for some reason. I understand the reason for the diode, but not for the resistor across the big terminals. I hooked it up with just the 4 original wires, and it works fine.
Old 05-26-2023, 01:17 PM   #10
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Resistor is there on the early ones to precharge the capacitors in the controller so that it minimizes the arc when the solenoid closes. Newer controllers have that feature built in.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO