lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2021, 01:46 PM   #11
pclausen
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Charging Problem E Z Go Gas

Old thread I know. I have a 2006 ST with this exact issue. Battery shows 12.2 when not running and about 11.8 when running.

1. So do I remove the green wire on the generator end so that I ground the voltage regulator?

2. Or do I remove the green wire on the voltage regulator end so that I ground the generator?

If I do 1, it sounds like the wire is going to get extremely hot, which is probably not what you want to do...

Also, why bother jacking the rear end up, just put the forward/reverse lever in the middle for neutral or am I missing something?
pclausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-15-2021, 02:02 PM   #12
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Disconnect green wire from starter to regulator, run jumper wire from starter side of green wire to main negative battery terminal to bypass regulator. If cart then charges 14-18 volts then regulator is bad, If still no rise starter/generator is bad. Yes you can just put cart in neutral it is just always recommended to lift rear in case of runaway but not necessary for test to work...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:40 AM   #13
pclausen
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks! It was indeed the voltage regulator. Pulled out the old one and looked up the model number to make sure I ordered the correct replacement. Ended up getting this guy:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

While it did end up working, it is NOT an exact replacement. The hole in the ring lug on the red wire was too small so I had to cut it off and crimp on a larger one that would slip ever the bolt. And the green wire had a female spade lug where it should be a male to mate with the wire going to the generator.

Minor issues yes, but if you do not have a crimp kit on hand with an assortment of connectors, you would be screwed or forced to just jerry rig something by twisting the wires together and put some electrical tape around them.
pclausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 11:00 AM   #14
dcwneil
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have the opposite problem, My TXT Gas is charging 17.5 volts and boiling the battery. Replaced the voltage regulator and doing the same thing.
dcwneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 12:13 PM   #15
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwneil View Post
I have the opposite problem, My TXT Gas is charging 17.5 volts and boiling the battery. Replaced the voltage regulator and doing the same thing.
What does it charge when you disconnect green wire at V/R ?
trig123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 12:24 PM   #16
dcwneil
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

12.1 volts
Old 06-28-2021, 02:35 PM   #17
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

You probably got a defective V/R. Did you buy one of those from amazon or ebay ? if so then order an OEM. google country cat
You can burn up the ignitor if not careful while running it overcharging.
trig123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 02:45 PM   #18
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I used to get aftermarket V.R. bad out of the box all the time to the point I only order O.E.M unless they are backordered...There are a few parts you never get aftermarket to avoid issues...Carbs, Coils and Voltage Reducers are on that list...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 06:29 AM   #19
dcwneil
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I had 2 from Nivel that I think are bad. Ordered an OEM yesterday should be here Wednesday. Guess I will see then . Thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO