lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
daveshoot
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Batt Boil with 36V PowerWise

Started delving into my new '85 electric. Last night when I plugged in, the charger went to 18V immediately. This AM the ammeter was at zero, but there is considerable evidence of boil. Batts seem filled correctly.

I found the slinky coil and have been reading up on resistor carts, but if you notice something or have a suggestion I am listening!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PowerWise.jpg (110.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg BattBoil.jpg (132.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Resistor Plate.jpg (101.1 KB, 0 views)
daveshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Batt Boil with 36V PowerWise

Dave, boiling is a common event, especially in older batteries. It's not really boiling, its gassing, and that looks just like a slow boil. Are you sure the water levels are correct?. Go to cartsunlimited.com and read up on battery function and maintenance.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #3
ezgokid
resident idiot

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshoot View Post
Started delving into my new '85 electric. Last night when I plugged in, the charger went to 18V immediately. This AM the ammeter was at zero, but there is considerable evidence of boil. Batts seem filled correctly.

I found the slinky coil and have been reading up on resistor carts, but if you notice something or have a suggestion I am listening!
My batteries are from '09 and they gas, but they do not do it a lot. How old are your batteries? You can usually see the date-code on one of the terminals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
Dave, boiling is a common event, especially in older batteries. It's not really boiling, its gassing, and that looks just like a slow boil. Are you sure the water levels are correct?. Go to cartsunlimited.net and read up on battery function and maintenance.
ezgokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Oooops, my bad. Thanx, Kid.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Before you charge your batteries, you should only have enough electrolyte to cover over the plates. The level will rise during charge and overflow if you had the level at the indicators before charging. Only use the indicators right after you have charged the batteries, and the charger has turned off automatically!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:32 PM   #6
daveshoot
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks all for the replies. A rare thunderstorm curtailed more investigations but I will need an updated hydrometer and some battery cleaner to start, plus one of the fillers. At least the terminals are very clean.

The batts seem to be a mix of date codes, not great but they are working.

CartsUnlimited seems like a dangerous site... I'm already tempted to put more $$$ into a perfectly fine toy. This always happens (you shoulda seen what happened when I first got into air rifles- ended up with a second safe). Still, updating the resistor coil seems smart in the long run, and we do worry about grass fires in this part of the world.

There is a rectangular cutout on the panel facing forward under the driver's seat (driver's left of the key and F/R, near the kluged-in light switch). I am guessing this was for a meter?

I will keep searching and reading, thanks for bearing with me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SeatPanel.jpg (68.7 KB, 0 views)
daveshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:00 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Granted, hydrometers are useful at times, but for the most part an inexpensive Digital Voltmeter is all you need to troubleshoot battery issues.

I've got a hydrometer that collects dust and some expensive DVMs, but what I use most of the time while working on my cart and batteries is a throwaway DVM that came in a blister package from an auto parts store.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that opening is where the original charger receptacle was.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The opening housed an Anderson SB50 receptacle for the charger. Good info on the battery water levels above... Use a turkey baster or hydrometer to remove unwanted water, Place it in a suitable sealed container & return it to the batteries as needed.
Actually, A refractometer will give you the best SOC readings
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #9
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The opening housed an Anderson SB50 receptacle for the charger. Good info on the battery water levels above... Use a turkey baster or hydrometer to remove unwanted water, Place it in a suitable sealed container & return it to the batteries as needed.
Actually, A refractometer will give you the best SOC readings
I also use a turkey baster, but as a funnel! Just cut the top of the bulb off and you'll have a great funnel for filling your batteries! You can see the level as you pour and it's long enough to reach tight places!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO