lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-02-2014, 11:25 PM   #1
Sanders0492
Not Yet Wild

Default Was given an 06 PQ and want it faster

I don't know much about golf carts, but was given this one in pretty good condition. It's a great golf cart, but goes a little too slow! I was hoping y'all could help me find the best solution for my needs!

First, I watched a video on a programmer called "Speed Code 5" but have also read here that they don't work for PQ cars. The post claiming that was almost a year old, so I was hoping someone could confirm for me if the programmer supports my cart now or not. I think a local dealer is offering to program it to code 4 for free, but is code 5 a noticeable difference from 4?

Also, I saw someone mention magnets, but I didn't quite understand what they were saying.. Does anyone have a brief explanation on that subject?

Finally, I used to have a high power audio system in my car. One thing that was a must was having a strong electrical backbone (such as batteries and wires) in order to get the most out of any system. I have a lot of 1/0 gauge pure copper wire laying around. Would it be of any use to replace the power wire with that wire? And when it came to getting good batteries, people turned to XS Power AGM glass-packed power cell batteries for high power delivery and long charge life. Has anyone ever tried these in a golf cart??

Thanks for any help or comments!
- Matt
Sanders0492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #2
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Was given an 06 PQ and want it faster

If that 1/0 is rigid copper wire I wouldn't use it. It needs to be flexible, otherwise it will break stuff. Welding wire is recommended. A Plum Quick motor is the best for more speed.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:55 PM   #3
Epb
Gone Wild
Club Car

You should verify if your charger will support the agm batteries first. From the time on this forum many choose high ah trojans which your charger would support.
Epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:01 PM   #4
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

A PQ is listed as Precedent Professional it is not listed as an Excel cart; Excel carts are more costly to speed up as SC5 as well as speed magnets do not work on them. But I'm unsure what to say about the PQ as to weather or not it is an easy cart to upgrade. I'm sure someone else will chime in soon here.

As to 1/0 wire well anything bigger than 2 gauge is overkill but if it is free its hard to pass up. BUT how fine is the strand count? The finer the better. How flexible is the wire? It needs to be very limp wire. What is the insulation material made of? Is it acid resistant?
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:05 PM   #5
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

A PQ is a regular Precedent IQ.. Buy a high speed magnet and it'll override the electronic rev limiter and allow for higher speed. A Healthy cart should see 20-22 mph with a speed magnet.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:58 AM   #6
Sanders0492
Not Yet Wild

I talked to a guy who said my cart should be going faster than it is. He walked me through testing for a couple of problems and I'm going to check it out tomorrow.

As for the power wire, it's 20+ feet of really nice stuff I kept from my old sound system.

"1/0 Gauge Blue Power Wire features 5145 Tinned Strands of Pure Oxygen Free Copper in a new Ultra Fleks Matte PVC Jacket" - Knukonceptz.com (Kolossus Fleks Kable)
Old 11-04-2014, 05:16 PM   #7
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

How fast do you want it to go and how fast does it go now?
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:36 PM   #8
Sanders0492
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjance View Post
How fast do you want it to go and how fast does it go now?
I want it to go as fast as possible for as cheap as possible. Yesterday my GPS speedometer said it topped out at 8mph, so we took it to a service place who agreed to look it over. I'll post back in a couple days
Old 11-05-2014, 08:02 PM   #9
CCFanatic
DS Drivers Club Founder

Club Car

Sounds like the speed sensor maybe shot. Did you try the test in the Stickys?
CCFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:08 PM   #10
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

My 06 Precedent with my old "stock" Plum Quick Motor did 26+ mph with 22" tires. My new Plum Quick motor, with a special touch by Robby got me constant 28mph+ and touched over 29 mph twice, on level ground.

If you want to do the least expensive thing, go with a High Speed Magnet for around $35. Just make sure of the type of motor in your cart first. Very easy to put on. Or do the Plum Quick motor for a reasonable price, visit PQ right here on BGW since they are one of the sponsors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261199277505...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.plumquick.com
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car