lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-11-2014, 03:23 PM   #11
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: '97 CC DS project for my folks

Ok, you had me worried. I would hate to hear that a state had somehow been able to outlaw golf carts on private land!

Anyway, back to your thread. Looking forward to seeing pics of your build.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-13-2014, 05:50 PM   #12
Lovnlivin
Getting Wild

Club Car

Not having a lot of room to put much of anything, I found a place for the fuse block (white arrow pointing to it) and the reducer, although I read that the reducer can get very hot. Could this cause concern being so close to the OBC? It's not touching but it's within 1".

Thanks

Lovnlivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:52 PM   #13
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovnlivin View Post
Not having a lot of room to put much of anything, I found a place for the fuse block (white arrow pointing to it) and the reducer, although I read that the reducer can get very hot. Could this cause concern being so close to the OBC? It's not touching but it's within 1".
I would think it wouldn't get hot enough to cause a problem, but honestly I don't know for sure. Hopefully someone who does chimes in
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:38 AM   #14
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovnlivin View Post

Thanks
IMO where you mounted it is about a perfect spot as your going to find. They all get hot if you have a load on them for any length of time, but you want them in an area where the fins can dissipate the heat - and you've done that. Believe it or not you get a lot of turbulent air up there so you shouldn't have any problems with it getting "too hot", and its certainly not close enough to the controller to ever hurt it. It will burn itself up before it puts off enough heat to hurt that controller — especially where you live. Its high and dry - perfect in my book, good job.

BTW, one little trick I learned being into computers; put a very thin layer of computer cpu thermal grease anywhere that the aluminum reducer touches the aluminum CC frame and you will vastly improve the heat dissipation (same goes for the controller). Just make sure both surfaces are clean first, the magic happens on the metal touching the metal with the thin layer of grease between. The smallest tube you can find will be plenty, usually around $5-$10.
UncleJerm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:47 AM   #15
Lovnlivin
Getting Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the info and tip with the cpu thermal grease! I'll certainly do that while I have it all apart. Every little tip is certainly welcomed and appreciated!
Old 11-17-2014, 04:03 PM   #16
NewCam
Not Yet Wild

I will be following your build with interest, as I want to do much the same with a 95 DS. I like where you have mounted the voltage reducer, I hadn't considered the heat generated by it. All your pictures and ideas will be very helpful when I get around to starting my build.
NewCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:11 AM   #17
Lovnlivin
Getting Wild

Club Car

NewCam, it's driving me nuts knowing my project sits in the shop not being worked on which is causing me to overthink everything while I wait for the temps to get above 20 so I can get back on it.

Wednesday after work I couldn't take it anymore so I started on the HD rear leaf springs to find all the bolts needed cut off. I got the shop up to 38 degrees but got too cold to continue (plus needed new bolts which I didn't have).

This weekend it's supposed to be in the upper 40's so I'm hoping to have the leaf springs done, head and taillights cut out and all the wiring ran and tied up.

After all this, I do have a question before I start prepping the body for paint:

Is there a release agent on these plastics that need treated/removed prior to sanding/prepping?

Thanks again!
Old 11-24-2014, 09:09 PM   #18
Lovnlivin
Getting Wild

Club Car

This weekend got the new HD leaf springs installed, having to cut all 4 bolts due to the sleeves being frozen to the bolts, and yes that includes cutting both ends of each bolt

Also got the head lights and tail lights cut in, wired, working and got the wiring tied up.

Now I can start working on prepping the body for paint. What I'm aiming for will be red and white (NU Husker colors), using a silver base with a pearl white and a candy red, stenciling in a few husker logos before the final clear coat. Pretty ambitious for not painting for over 25 years but also looking forward to the challenge! And unless I'm deterred otherwise, I plan on using lacquer due to spraying multiple colors and doing this in my non-paint booth shop.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:39 PM   #19
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Updates? :)
UncleJerm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:23 PM   #20
Lovnlivin
Getting Wild

Club Car

Thanks for checking, UncleJerm76!

With my shop not being heated, I've only been able to sand the body to prep it for primer and paint, and it's really bummin' me out! But I really don't want to prime it in this weather and have it sit till Spring before I can put the color on.

But that doesn't mean I'm not trying to find ways to heat my smaller shop as I can bring the body parts in there but I also need to jerry-rig an exhaust system without drawing in cold outside air.

I'm working on it, I just want to do it right the first time!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car