lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-27-2015, 08:04 AM   #11
ezgo on fire
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Kf82 best options for total rebuild or swap

is the crank scored or is it just aluminum built up. You can take acid and clean up the crank. Will melt off the aluminum then just polish up the crank.
ezgo on fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-03-2015, 07:00 PM   #12
RudeJoe
Getting Wild
Club Car

I just got my 89 DS with KF82 engine out of storage for the summer and its putting out a lot of smoke when accelerating and going up hills in my neighborhood. For the past few years the exhaust has been like a 2 cycle engine and back seat riders end up smelling like exhaust. I really don't want to put the $1k into this cart that a clone and kit would require.

While looking on ebay I spotted a gasket and piston kit for $125. Here's a link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Club-Car-Gas...de26b6&vxp=mtr

Would this be worthwhile? Seems like the cylinder would need to be bored a little to cleanup the years of wear. Then it would require going oversize?

Thoughts?

Anything else that needs to be replaced on a rebuild? Are there separate bearings that can be replaced on cranks and rod?

Thanks!
RudeJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:15 PM   #13
RudeJoe
Getting Wild
Club Car

Just found another listing by the same person/company that lists a rebuild kit for $635. Ouch! It includes a crank, connecting rod, valves, and bearings. Much more complete but painfully so!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Club-Car-Gas...37685942&rt=nc

Anyone try one of these kits? Appears to be from China so quality could be suspect.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:45 PM   #14
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

There are no bearings on the crank or the rod, but they can be sent out to be re-machined (new rod + old crank) for about $250 last time I checked.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:21 PM   #15
RudeJoe
Getting Wild
Club Car

Good to know.

I also found from the same seller a piston and ring set that is .25mm over. Seems like that would be better for a rebuild if the cylinder is worn.

Has anyone taken apart a 25 year old motor to know where the wear is?
Old 05-03-2015, 08:32 PM   #16
RudeJoe
Getting Wild
Club Car

I see a site sponsor East Coast Customs sells the same parts. Prices are a little more it appears.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:20 PM   #17
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

The two KF82 motors that I've had apart weren't smoking and the cylinders looked fine. Both my bad motors had rods that broke loose from the crank.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:05 PM   #18
RudeJoe
Getting Wild
Club Car

I borrowed a compression tester from Autozone and checked the compression. I'm getting 90psi both dry and wet. I guess that means its about shot? I thinking I read 110 was a minimum spec.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:40 PM   #19
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

90 is within range, albeit at the low end. Between 85 and 120 is roughly the range IIRC.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:37 PM   #20
RudeJoe
Getting Wild
Club Car

If there wasn't smoke (very noticeable this spring) and if I wasn't tired of the 2-cycle-like exhaust smell (since I bought the cart a few years ago) I'd probably leave it. And my son is interested in wrenching on something.

I'm hoping that I can get away with minimal cost - bore the cylinder and new (oversize) piston, new connecting rod if its loose on the crank, and an engine gasket kit. Hopefully the valves will be okay. Sound reasonable or am I missing something

Through an internet search I found a place in Georgia that will bore the cylinder and fit a new pistion for under a hundred dollars. I haven't checked machine shops locally yet to see if they'd do it. Going local would save the shipping cost.

Dropping in a clone would be nice but that's about $800 with HF engine and Vegas kit with adapter for my old clutch. And from what I've read it will be noisier than my OEM set up unless I figure out a way to connect the included header pipe to the OEM exhaust.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car