lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-27-2015, 08:37 AM   #1
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Fast Drive Clutch Question ...

Hi all ... Shhhh, don't tell anyone from the EZGO side that I'm over here poking around with CC questions, but I picked up a heck of a deal on a Carryall 2 (1991) so I decided to see what this whole "Club Car" thing was all about, LOL. Here's the initial issue, the drive clutch rattles like crazy when You go to start the thing, but quiets down as soon as it starts and seems to act fairly normally afterwards (I have about 5min run time on it so far but that's the initial observation). If I grab the clutch itself, the outer part moves laterally on the shaft and also has a ton of slop (hence the noise) - is this some easy fix or do I just pop for a new clutch? I am very familiar with driven clutches, but never really have gotten too deep into an actual drive clutch, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Oh yeah, without pictures it didn't happen, LOL ...

untitled.jpg

Here's the deal, it was a privately owned (not Golf Course) cart, even got the original delivery sheet with it (the PO is still trying to hunt down the original invoice for me, that'd be nice to have too) ... Other than the clutch rattle, the brakes are thin (easy fix) there are 2 spot welds broken on the framework under the box, and the rear box corner has a slight split that was reinforced with another piece of angle - should both be easy repairs once I get my "Master Welder" over here or vice-versa with his Aluminum rig. The cart is still fully governed and rev-limited to stock and shows 1004hrs on the meter ... Surface rust on the headpipe and can (typical to all carts) and someone at one time rattlecanned the cowl so it could use a new one or some quality "clean-up" time - other than that, starts and runs out well and drives good (or as good as I can tell at 12mph, LOL)

The plan is as follows, pressure-wash it all up and get those spot welds fixed, cowl and seats replaced, clutch addressed, change all fluids, clean carb, etc (all the routine stuff) then a long-travel kit and 14's ... From there, I'm not sure about the body yet - I could take a few long days and likely polish it all up to a beautiful shine, but I'm also going to talk with one of my fabrication shops locally who have treated me VERY well in the past and see about replacing the box panels and rear body panels with aluminum diamondplate - might cost a few bucks more but would look VERY nice IMHO.

Here's a body they custom fabbed for me last fall out of .125 - materials and labor came to a whopping $140 so I'm sure I can keep the whole shebang on the CC under $250, even though there's a LOT more aluminum there

2007MPT_01.jpg

So that's my long-winded intro story to the Carryall - any help or ideas are as always, well-appreciated (especially the clutch thing) ... Thanks in Advance!
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-29-2015, 10:50 PM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: Fast Drive Clutch Question ...

I recommend changing the drive clutch. Usually when they're so worn out that they make all that noise, the face of them is worn as well. You'll spend more in rebuilding it than you will replacing it. Post a few pictures of the engine and I'll tell you which clutch you need.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:46 AM   #3
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

20150329_181841.jpg

I'm thinking it may have been from sitting, as a bit of driving over the last day or two had quieted it down a lot (still some slop that I'm not thrilled with though, the outer part of the clutch can easily be jiggled around by hand quite a bit, there's lateral and up and down slop there so it's obviously worn pretty well)
Old 03-30-2015, 08:00 AM   #4
nobuckbuild
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

first off the clutch is shot there is a bushing sleeve in that clutch and its shot , usually they are not worth repairing as said above , clutches for that are cheap , second how good was the deal that we find you over here in clubby land , third dont diamond plate it , it will shine up real nice the way it is , also that body work is structural on a carryall not just decorative
one last thing , get that front cowl off and check the welds where the cowl meets the front uprights before your welder gets there they are going to be cracked or broken typically
nobuckbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:52 AM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

If anyone could refer me to the best place price-wise for a replacement, that'd be great ... NoBuck, the deal was pretty sweet that's all I'll say, LOL :)

The Diamondplate idea has already morphed, I'm considering going with .045 and bonding it to the existing aluminum as a "skin" (because yeah, I realized just how solid these things were after doing some R&R on it) ... This one has enough small scratches, etc that I'd likely have to start with 320 and work it from there if I really wanted a nice shine - don't get me wrong it's not ugly by any means I can just see a day or so of fab and installation as versus at *least* that much money tied up in supplies as well as about a week or more to really buff this thing into a star.

Welds are definitely a weak point with these, I found 2 on the bed frame that need attention, one at the rear of the box, and 3 of the tacks that hold the upper and lower side panels together on the drivers side are popped - Thanks for the heads up, I'll pull the cowl today and give the front a look-see as I'm hoping my buddy can get over here tomorrow to fix up whatever needs it. I have another friend who is really trying to get me to sell him the cart "as-is" (and at a tidy profit I may add) but I'm not parting with it until I do the clutch, carb, and any welds at the VERY least (so I don't feel obligated to fix that stuff later if he ends up with it, LOL).

Again, if anyone can steer me towards a good deal on the clutch, that'd be great - I already have my "Go-To" suppliers for the EZGO stuff, but CC's are a new world for me :)
Old 03-30-2015, 09:26 AM   #6
nobuckbuild
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

229 plus 10 shipping amazon from nivel pop an ad up in the parts section you might get lucky , another guy on here was getting them for cost like 150 from his work 1
nobuckbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:59 AM   #7
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

I would love to be your supplier. I offer a full line of ALL OEM Club Car parts at very reasonable prices. PM me if you're interested in pricing.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:03 AM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobuckbuild View Post
229 plus 10 shipping amazon from nivel pop an ad up in the parts section you might get lucky , another guy on here was getting them for cost like 150 from his work 1
I looked at these clutches and can't seem to find the one for his vehicle. With it being a pre-97 Club Car, it needs to run counter clockwise. The only clutches I saw on Amazon were clockwise clutches for the newer cars. The clutch you're looking for is a 101637802 or a 101637804 for a little more torque. The clutch I saw on amazon is a 101833902.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:37 AM   #9
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Dumb question, but I found a counter-clockwise clutch off a 1992 FE350 locally, it's used but cheap, no slop, etc - as long as it's CC rotation the taper, etc should all be the same, right? I've seen them with smaller SG pulleys, but this one looks the same, should it work?
Old 03-30-2015, 10:42 AM   #10
wharris01
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

The newer clutches will work you just need to change the little spring clips to the opposite side internally.

I have personally done this on my 88 club car.
wharris01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car