lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2015, 04:50 PM   #1
crzychestr
Not Yet Wild

Default 1997 DS Gas Intermittent Start - Need Help

97 Club Car DS Gas recently experienced intermittent starting when I press the pedal. Sometimes it starts right up, sometimes I have to depress the pedal as many as 10-15 times. Doesn't seem to be any regularity or pattern as to why. I recently replaced the two microswitches at the F/R lever. The rpm limiter ground has never been connected. The cart fires right up when I jump the solenoid.

Could this be the microswitches in the electrical box? Could it be the voltage regulator? I'm reluctant to think it could be the starter generator. Any ideas?

Appreciate the help!
crzychestr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-28-2015, 08:54 PM   #2
RED 92CC GAS
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1997 DS Gas Intermittent Start - Need Help

it could be micro switch, but it most likely is starter belt. make sure belt is in good condition and tight.
RED 92CC GAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:07 PM   #3
nobuckbuild
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

most likely the switches in the box check them for continuity with the pedal depressed , one goes to the solenoid to start the cart and the other is the kill switch either one could be bad but since it is where it is , it is always just easier to replace both for what they cost
nobuckbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:55 PM   #4
crzychestr
Not Yet Wild

Brilliant. I've ordered the microswitches for the electrical box. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2015, 09:14 PM   #5
johnandret
Not Yet Wild

is it doing anything ? clicking .
my cc was acting similar to what your explaining .
checked motor gen. belt , it was loose , tightened belt and it works fine now.
it did not sound like it was slipping .
johnandret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:03 AM   #6
crzychestr
Not Yet Wild

Well, installed all new microswitches. Still experiencing the same problem. I've jumped the solenoid and it seems fine. I've checked the starter generator belt and it seems fine as well.

Any ideas? Hate to just throw money at it.

It clicks in electrical box and sometimes it will fire right up - sometimes not. Doesn't seem to get better or worse with engine temp, position of cart, etc...

Thanks all!
Old 05-28-2015, 07:56 AM   #7
nobuckbuild
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

most likely the solenoid going bad , i would not throw money i would be testing first , did you test the micro switch operation and continuity , also check the voltage going to the small solenoid post when the pedal is depressed if you have good 12 v their and have good ground then you are left with the solenoid being bad , club cars are strange in that they need to have the grounds checked and cleaned more often due to corrosion between steel and aluminum , i would venture to guess that you need to pull the grounds and the solenoid mounting base and clean them well and then start checking if you still have the problem then you can throw a new solenoid at it if needed because only two item left are ground and solenoid
nobuckbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:11 AM   #8
mrlmd
Gone Wild

What do you mean you "jumped the solenoid"? You shorted out the 2 heavy terminals and the starter engaged?

You can check the solenoid by jumping from the battery to the 12V post on the solenoid (small wire, bypassing all the microswitches) and seeing if the starter engages. If it does, the solenoid is good. If not, jump the 2 large terminals with a heavy wrench or similar and see if the starter engages. If it does, the solenoid is bad. If it does not, the starter may be bad.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:02 AM   #9
crzychestr
Not Yet Wild

Replaced the solenoid and the one that I purchased was slightly shorter than the OE part, but the terminals matched and it appears to have solved the problem.

Appreciate the guidance!
Old 06-04-2015, 09:42 AM   #10
mrlmd
Gone Wild

Glad you got it fixed.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
club car, electrical, start
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car