lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2015, 09:14 PM   #1
NBM
Not Yet Wild

Default 03 Clubcar DS fuel starved

My wife's Clubcar runs great for about 20 minutes then it dies from fuel starvation. After 10-15 minutes of sitting it will run great again for about 10-15 minutes. I checked the plastic straw in the fuel tank pick up and it is a tight fit. One of the fuel filters will be empty also. Is it the fuel pump? Thanks in advance.
NBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-30-2015, 07:54 AM   #2
Land Owner
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 03 Clubcar DS fuel starved

Sometimes the "air breather" on the face of the fuel pump gets clogged with dirt, grass, and / or clay. Like one hundred little copper pins all on end in a circular keeper, these pins provide the diaphram some air space within which to vibrate. If the pins get clogged, the diaphram won't vibrate and the fuel won't pump. Take off the pump, securing fuel hoses from dripping, and using brake cleaner, wash that gunk out of those pins and try the pump again.

I have also encountered intermittent clogging of the needle valves in the carburator. The threaded nut that connects the gas resevoir to the bottom of the carb. has an "O" ring that will disintegrate. Also, one of the fuel hoses disintegrated sending shards of hose to the carb. which clogged the valves and killed the engine.

Very frustrating to diagnose and eliminate. New hoses are cheap insurance and sincerely easy to replace. I eliminated the disintegrated "O" ring and so far, no leaks or difficulties. I may have fooled myself in this though and should probably find and replace that "O" ring. Maybe others will set me straight on that.

One more thing, Ethenol in the gasoline. It attracts water. Change any old fuel for new fuel. Maybe find an outboard motor filling station and use their non-ethenol fuel in your cart.
Land Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:27 PM   #3
johnandret
Not Yet Wild

make sure fuel tank vent is not plugged . run it with the cap loose and see if it quits , if your not comfortable doing that , if it has a vent hose on the tank remove it and blow air through it.
johnandret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:59 PM   #4
compmikey
Getting Wild

Club Car

My mid 90s DS has similar symptoms and it turned out to be a small piece of debris in the float bowl that would occasionally block the jet, but if yours is consistent in failing after 20 minutes, I'd lean toward it being a tank vent issue as Johnandret suggested.
I have no idea where the debris originated, but I don't take very good care of the cart so I deserve unanswered questions like that.
Looking at my fuel filter never seems to make sense. It looks like mostly air in there when the cart is running great.
compmikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:04 PM   #5
NBM
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the advice, had some family issues develop and didn't get to work on it over the weekend. Hopefully get to work on it tomorrow or Wednesday evening.
NBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car