lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2015, 01:42 PM   #11
mrlmd
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2008 club car precedent won't start (gas)

Why do people like to hijack someone else's thread instead of starting their own?
And why do people come on forums like this asking for advice and then go out and do whatever they want ignoring everything they are told?
Tim - if you want to go out and buy a new battery, then go right ahead, whatever floats your boat. But why don't you first buy a voltmeter (which you can use forever) and see if your battery is indeed dead? Or maybe get it charged up and see if it works? How long has the battery been sitting? Or see if the cart starts by jumping it from a good fully charged battery, like from a NON-RUNNING car? How do you know that going out and buying a new battery will solve your problem? Hit and miss replacing parts can get quite expensive and it's really nice to know what the problem is before throwing new parts at it. You very well may need a new battery, or just getting your present one charged up, but there is a systematic way of going about things like this instead of just running out to the store. Any battery place or gas station will test your battery for free (because they want to sell you a new one anyway) and in many localities you have to bring the old one in so you avoid an extra "core charge" when you buy a new one. Check out the cart and battery before you buy another one.
And Master (where'd he go?) - you could have a bad or discharged battery, or a bad S/G not charging your battery, or dirty/loose connections at the battery, or something else like bad microswitches. Once your cart is running, the S/G should be putting out enough juice to keep it running and keep it charged up. Was it running and it died while running, or did you stop and the you couldn't restart it? Big difference. If you saw the belt moving "a little" then there is nothing wrong with your solenoid, the battery is discharged not turning the engine over fast enough, and the clicking of the solenoid indicates a dead battery. You also need to measure your battery voltage, try and start it with a jump from a good battery, and measure the voltage across the battery terminals with the cart running to see if your generator and voltage regulator are working.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2015, 01:59 PM   #12
TimKarp
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Not sure you read the entire thread. No one Hijacked the thread. I made a comment that I was looking forward to seeing the result of original issue. Yes we made some comment but all related to the main issue. As mentioned before the battery is old and I want to replace it anyway. I'm not concerned about the $100 and want to make sure that this is one possible issue removed from the equation (now or in the future). This cart is at my cabin and I wanted to get as much information as possible before heading back up. I appreciate all the other information everyone (including you) have provided and I will do all the other test. Again! I appreciate all the help and had no intentions of Hijacking. There fricking golfs carts and as far as i'm concerned this site it for Q&A.
TimKarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 04:57 PM   #13
mrlmd
Gone Wild

Sorry, didn't mean to jump on you.
Some people don't listen to any advice, just go out shotgun style and replace parts, not having any rhyme or reason nor clue at what they are doing, and, if they get lucky, they may resolve a problem, but again, had no idea what it was.
There is a systematic way for problem solving, so, for a few dollars get yourself a voltage meter, you will always use it as this will pop up again in the future.
And no need to spend $100 on a starter battery for a golf cart. You could also go to Walmart or Autozone or similar place. Bring your old battery for size and capacity recommendation, (it has to fit in the space), and you have to exchange it anyway to avoid a "core charge" which sometimes is an extra $10 or more if you have no exchange.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:41 AM   #14
TimKarp
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I try to be very detailed in my testings and my research. Sometimes I may ask too many questions. LOL! This site helps me out a bunch and I would be lost without it. I have compiled some basic information and below is where ill start my testing. (not trying to plagiarism others - LOL) I know its long but hows it sound? Since cart is up north I need as much info as possible.

The starting circuit consists of: battery/battery cables/fuse or fuses/wire harness/key switch/stop switch (at accelerator pedal)/solenoid and starter/generator. On G16's and up there is also a "stop relay". Jack up the cart or put it in neutral.

1. cleaning the battery posts and cable ends back to clean/brite lead

2. Put your volt meter on the battery. Try to start the cart, battery voltage should not drop below 10 volts (cart will hesitate to start with low voltage), did you hear the solenoid click? If battery checks ok and you heard a solenoid click bypass the next steps and go to solenoid output test.

3. Take the brake/accelerator access panel out, the "stop switch will have 2 wires (brown and red) disconnect the brown wire, you should have battery voltage all the time, if not, battery/fuse/wire harness problem. If battery voltage present, reconnect and check for battery voltage on the red wire coming out of the stop switch. You should only have voltage when you "press" the accelerator pedal. Try it several times (you may have an intermittent stop switch). If tests good, the red wire goes to the solenoid (to "energize" it),reconnect the red wire.

4. Now put your volt meter on the (small) red wire at the solenoid and push the accelerator pedal. You should have battery voltage. Check the voltage at the (small) black wire at the solenoid, you should have battery voltage at all times (if not, bad ground wire). If you have ground (black wire) and 12 volts positive (red wire) when pedal pushed, your solenoid is bad.

5. Test solenoid output (the 2 big posts), you should have battery voltage at the post that the positive battery cable attaches to, put your meter lead on the post that goes to the starter/generator, push the pedal. You should hear the solenoid click and battery voltage should be present. If not bad solenoid, if good the starter/generator should be checked. Remember to check the negative batter cable to the starter for voltage also, there should be battery voltage reading at all times.

6. at the starter/generator (from the battery) you should have 12 volts at the "ground lead" all the time. The 12 volt positive lead should only have voltage with the pedal pushed. If the starter doesn't turn over when the pedal is pushed and you have 12 volts at the starter......STOP and check the brushes ASAP, if there worn and or stuck, you have a good chance of damaging the comutator (were the brushes ride) and will need to replace the armature.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:27 AM   #15
mrlmd
Gone Wild

Excellent - you got it, good write up, a sticky.
So check your battery as the first step and you should be good to go. If you leave the cart for an extended period of time, consider getting a small 1-2 amp charger or battery "maintainer", or even better, a small solar panel charger, to keep your battery topped up. That greatly extends the life of a battery and it will start up each time you return up there and want to use it.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:30 AM   #16
TimKarp
Gone Wild

Yamaha

yep...heading up Friday to get her running. (fingers crossed) I built cart 5 years ago and haven't had any issues so can't complain about this. :) I have 2 trickle chargers (1.5 amp) for the snowmobiles ill hook one up when i'm gone for over a week.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car