lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-16-2018, 04:51 AM   #11
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV flood victam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike's View Post
ok thanks will give a try in the am..
A flooded RXV will need both throttle and brake encoders replaced. It is not worth the risk to run them. You could lose control of your carts speed and end up in a full throttle runaway condition.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-16-2018, 10:15 AM   #12
Mike's
Not Yet Wild

I tried throttle reading no luck yet
Mike's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:31 AM   #13
Mike's
Not Yet Wild

Cant make throttle move. Why do my rear lights come on when I turn key on??
Old 03-16-2018, 12:29 PM   #14
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Because your throttle and brake encoders were trashed by the flood water soaking into them. They are not sealed against water ingress, only dust to a limited degree.
They look just like modern throttle position encoders used in cars, except they run from 5 volts DC supplied by the controller.

You may have another encoder pair out as well. Encoders will look ok on the outside. but if water made it inside, they will be damaged. The Motor Speed Encoder is the 3rd and 4th encoder. It's a lot more resistant to water ingress, but if the housing has a crack, it will fail from being flooded.

I restored a 2008 flood cart RXV. I had to replace the harness, controller, all encoders, and batteries. It was from west of New Orleans, LA.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:02 PM   #15
Mike's
Not Yet Wild

Encoders are on the way. I have 3 of these cars I hope to make go. These are from Houston area. Thanks for your help
Old 03-16-2018, 02:30 PM   #16
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Encoders are on the way. I have 3 of these cars I hope to make go. These are from Houston area. Thanks for your help
Ahhh, the insurance auctions for the Houston flood carts. We discussed those here on the forum after an auction date was announced. I tend to avoid the insurance auctions for flood vehicles because potential bidders tend to have no clue how much damage occurs when modern vehicles loaded with electronics and electrical equipment get submerged. The golf carts are not as bad as other vehicles, but it can still cost a lot to replace batteries, controller, repair or replace the harness, and all of the other electrical and electronic bits. I don't mind paying a few hundred for a flood cart, but other bidders tend to go crazy with bids. I've seen them go for thousands.

I hope you bought them for a good price. I can get non-flooded as-is 2014-2015 RXVs fresh off-lease for $2K - $2.3K. I could turn a tidy profit selling used RXVs around here, but I don't want the headaches. The cart shop closest to me sells them for $4K+ all cleaned up and polished.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:02 PM   #17
Mike's
Not Yet Wild

Bought from golf cart store for about 200 ea. for salvage.3 RXV, one CC, two PDS.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:02 PM   #18
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Bought from golf cart store for about 200 ea. for salvage.3 RXV, one CC, two PDS.
You did very good!
Old 03-19-2018, 08:39 PM   #19
Mike's
Not Yet Wild

Hey Bob I'm back. Changed two encoders, one break and one gas and nothing changed. No code come up. The motor will not turn over by hand either in tow or run with the key on. It acts like opposing fields or something in the motor If that makes any sense.
tail lights still on when the key is on.. Any ideas? Mike
Old 03-19-2018, 10:31 PM   #20
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Hey Bob I'm back. Changed two encoders, one break and one gas and nothing changed. No code come up. The motor will not turn over by hand either in tow or run with the key on. It acts like opposing fields or something in the motor If that makes any sense.
tail lights still on when the key is on.. Any ideas? Mike
It's acting like the motor brake is not powering up to release. No codes might mean that the fuse for the motor brake might be blown. Under the plastic controller cover, there should be 4 wire/cap/plugs on one side and 2 plugs with caps on the other. Those 2 caps are covering fuses. The keyswitch fuse is 10 Amp and the motor brake fuse is 7.5 Amp. Check them. One other thing...

Flood RXVs and RXVs in high humidity locations can suffer from the motor brake disc rusting to the motor brake plate. Remove the motor brake bolts and seperate the motor brake from the back of the motor. If rusty, take some 300 to 400 grit sandpaper and clean the surfaces, then reassemble. Do not overtighten the motor brake bolts, as that can cause failure. Keep in mind that the motor brake coil may have been damaged in the flood. All it takes is a small crack in the plastic to let water in. I've seen it happen on motor brake coils that look perfect. Check it with an ohmmeter set to the 200 ohm scale. 25.5 ohms is the spec. Under 20 ohms and over 30 ohms can trigger a fault, but that should set a code.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO