lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-13-2018, 11:25 PM   #21
Gazoo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: When will my DPI Gen IV Maintenance Kick in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
Lots of factors to consider for self discharge ... temperature seems to have a major influence as NoleFan4Ever pointed out.

From Battery University (BU)(https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...lf_discharge):

" Among rechargeable batteries, lead acid has one of the lowest self-discharge rates and loses only about 5 percent per month. With usage and age, however, the flooded lead acid builds up sludge in the sediment trap, which causes a soft short when this semi-conductive substance reaches the plates."

I have also attached a few of the charts from BU showing discharge rates for different batteries and for lead acid at difference temperatures.

There is also some interesting reading from C&D Technologies (the company taking over Trojan). Have at look at their self discharge plot for their AGM battery. It shows a self discharge rate of 1% per month at 40 F (5 C), 2% per month at 60 F (15 c) and 4% per month at 80 F (27 C). Above 80 F, the self discharge rate doubles for every 20 F (11 C) increase in temperature. Your Trojan T875's may not exactly fit this discharge rate curve but the trend will definitely be similar with a higher discharge rate at higher temperatures.

So keep the heat turned down in the garage this winter !

Thanks!

Garage under my house but not heated. Should be ideal temp...
Gazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-13-2018, 11:49 PM   #22
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
So the cart is tucked away and connected to the charger. It did its last charge last week and I assume it's sitting in maintenance mode. I checked the meter and its now sitting at 49.9. When will it kick in?
What was your stabilized voltage after your charge? I assume around 52.1 volts if your Trojans are anything like mine (new in July 2018 ). Assuming my estimate is correct, you have lost 2.2 volts in a week or so.

I suspect that you have a parasite load. In 5 days after a charge, I will typically lose only about 0.1 volt, but I also have a battery disconnect switch which I turn off in between uses (see photo).

You might want to consider disconnecting the main cables from your pack for the winter and monitor your batteries again to see if you can reduce your losses. And if you find you do a have a parasite load, you might consider to install a battery switch to help get the most out of those new batteries.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5925.jpg (346.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8360.jpg (253.1 KB, 0 views)
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:04 AM   #23
Gazoo
Gone Wild

Club Car

I don't think my stabilized voltage was ever that high. I think maybe 51 and some change. I do have a 48volt to 12volt reducer for the lights but its all plug and play stuff thats plugged into the main harness and lights only work when ignition on. Even the volt meter is wired through the ignition. Does tow mode equate to having a battery switch?
Old 11-14-2018, 07:06 AM   #24
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
-snip-
Does tow mode equate to having a battery switch?
Not completely, but for storage purposes, you should definitely flip it over to Tow as it does power down everything fed back of the switch.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:59 AM   #25
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

To put it into perspective, if you lost 1.0 volt, that is a 20% loss in a week. If you lost 1.5 volt, that is a 30% loss of battery charge in a week.

Something is draining those puppies.

If those were my new batteries, I would can the charger maintenance testing and get them charged back up pronto!
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:04 AM   #26
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

A Sepex cart uses energy while in Run mode even with the key switch OFF since it keeps the Controller logic running in order to monitor the motor for movement.

It also keeps the speed sensor powered.

You should definitely put a Sepex cart on Tow if You are not planning in driving for over two weeks.

A DC voltage converter with a trigger wire will still use energy from the batteries even with the key OFF and the cart in TOW. You need to disconnect its positive power lead to stop all of the drain.

The voltage drop you are seeing is definitely not related to lead acid battery self-discharge.

Since Your DPI charger does not need to interact with the OBC, You can also disconnect all cables from the pack positive except for the charger cable to have both a very low self-discharge and a refresh charge cycle.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:49 AM   #27
Gazoo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks everyone! All unnecessaries removed and being charged as we speak.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:56 PM   #28
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Sorry to hear about your winter and all that comes with it.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:04 PM   #29
Gazoo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Sorry to hear about your winter and all that comes with it.
#@!*%^#$#

If only they made a track kit for carts....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOwYNP-13SY
Old 11-14-2018, 01:16 PM   #30
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

I look at it this way, winter keeps the forest fires, typhoons, heat waves, and hurricanes away.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car