lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-28-2019, 12:57 PM   #1
travis_slim
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Upgrading cart, need advice

I have a cart with the below setup and I need advice about upgrading a few parts on it and here is why. Our town has a community days ever two years and this year I convinced them we should have golf cart races (5 different classes) and I will be in the electric open class, meaning I can have as many electric modifications as I want but must still be a golf cart motor and chassis.

Current setup:
Cart: 2007 Precedent 48v 4-12 Trojan batteries
Controller: Alltrax XCT48400IQ with SW180 solenoid 4ga cables
Motor: Stock
Tires: 23" 6” lift
Batteries: 4 x12v Trojans (must buy new this year)

Info & Questions:
My batteries are done. I will need to change them out. I know that the 4x12v setup is not the best and at the very minimum I should go to the 6x8v setup. I have read a number of forums on lithium but there does not appear to be a relatively easy conversion out there (maybe I missed it). Any suggestions here?

The more I read I see individuals not using there OBC, I have stuck with mine for charging. Should I stick with it or am I crazy for still running my OBC?

My cart will currently go about 22mph with 23" tall tires with the stock motor. This speed is probably ok. Sometimes I would like to go a little faster (25 -27mph) but what I really need is acceleration, especially for this race. This race will be short, fast and furious style. Down go around a cone and back. Total length maybe 80 yards. Besides this one time racing, this cart is driven around our small town cruising. I have turned up the Alltrax controller to get it to launch better but it still loses punch after about 1/3 of acceleration. This might be due to batteries that are not in great shape. In order to get up to 22mph it takes about 1.5 city blocks (my normal settings). Where I live is flat and I mean flat, no hills at all. I have looked into getting the Admiral MOT-A4 motor but when I searched it on the forum threads I did not get the sense it was the clear winner of what I was looking for. Any suggestions here?

Thanks!
travis_slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-28-2019, 01:03 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Upgrading cart, need advice

I've got a DS with the Admiral MOT-A1 and it takes off like a rocketship. STock 18" tires, will do 21-22mph on grass, and gets there pretty much instantly. Spins for the first 10-15 feet...

Your best bet would be to call Plum Quick. They make their own motors and make custom motors, so if you're just looking for a drop in replacement, they would probably be best suited to steer you in the right direction.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 01:25 PM   #3
Out2Sea
Gone Wild

If I was you just for this one race I would cheat and put stock tires back on. After you win go back to bling.
Out2Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:12 PM   #4
travis_slim
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
I've got a DS with the Admiral MOT-A1 and it takes off like a rocketship. STock 18" tires, will do 21-22mph on grass, and gets there pretty much instantly. Spins for the first 10-15 feet...

Your best bet would be to call Plum Quick. They make their own motors and make custom motors, so if you're just looking for a drop in replacement, they would probably be best suited to steer you in the right direction.
CP241 what type of battery setup are you running?

Last edited by travis_slim; 03-28-2019 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: Added quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:13 PM   #5
travis_slim
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out2Sea View Post
If I was you just for this one race I would cheat and put stock tires back on. After you win go back to bling.
That is a good idea. Only issue is I would have to find some stock wheels which I might be able to do.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:20 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Stock tires 18-20" max and FSIP Speed motor. No rpm limit, high throttle rate, for one run only ...it should be doing 30 plus mph in 200 feet Or something like that.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 04:36 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis_slim View Post
CP241 what type of battery setup are you running?
Its 6 8v crown batteries, about 2 years old. To be honest I just got the thing running reliably, haven't touched or tried to tune the alltrax yet. Not sure if I will, its plenty fast as-is
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:41 PM   #8
Stoner99
Getting Wild

But...we are going to need a video of this here race!!!
Stoner99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:53 PM   #9
travis_slim
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoner99 View Post
But...we are going to need a video of this here race!!!
Haha, no problem. I am excited to see how many we get to show up and race. We have other small towns in the area that have demolition derbys, mud runs, or hill climbs so I wanted to do something different. Hopefully it goes well and it won't be a ton of work to setup.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:58 PM   #10
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

What kind of race is this?

Edit: My bad, I see it now. If you are making a U turn and racing I would want a non-lifted cart. Maybe even lowered.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alltrax, battery, lithium, motor, obc
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car