lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-28-2019, 10:09 AM   #31
SB77
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: batteries expelling hydrogen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
SB77, there are a few things you can check and a few ventilation options you can implement.

Hydrogen being the lightest of all the elements has a tendency to accumulate in high pockets and to permeate easily if the air is not exchanged.

It does not take much air exchange to mitigate a single cart charging in a large space, if You use an online resource like the one below to calculate ventilation requirements, it takes less than 10CFM to ventilate a typical two car garage.

https://na.bhs1.com/battery-room/ventilation/

If You have a window or location near the cart/charger to install a bathroom type exhaust fan (must ventilate to outside and not attic), You can use a simple "smart power strip" where it senses the charger using power an turns the exhaust fan ON.

If that is not possible there are other options available, specially if you have a home automation hub like smartthings, so instead of activating a fan you could limit the charger to only run if the garage door was open.

Also make sure there is no negative pressure in your air conditioning system where it may be sucking outside air when it is running.
Awesome thank you that is what I'm going to do. I have fans going and two windows open.... That may be enough? I don't want to have to remember to open the windows though so I'll get some sort of exhaust. My batteries were below the plates on 3 batteries so it think that's probably my biggest problem here.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
SB77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-28-2019, 10:30 AM   #32
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That is more than enough, on a two car garage a small fan is all is needed.

Until You figure out a better automated solution, using an inexpensive power saving strip like the one below will help automatically turning the FAN On/Off as the charger uses power.

Just plug the charger in the "master" outlet and the fan on any of the energy saver outlets.
https://www.amazon.com/Niagara-Conse...5YO/ref=sr_1_5
The batteries with low electrolyte level were most likely the cause for the excessive gassing.

Batteries start gassing after about 80% charged, if a few bad/low batteries prevent the charger from finishing the cycle properly, the good batteries will stay gassing above the 80% mark for an extended period of time.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:23 AM   #33
SB77
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
That is more than enough, one a two car garage a small fan is all is needed.

Until You figure out a better automated solution, using an inexpensive power saving strip like the one below will help automatically turning the FAN On/Off as the charger uses power.

Just plug the charger in the "master" outlet and the fan on any of the energy saver outlets.
https://www.amazon.com/Niagara-Conse...5YO/ref=sr_1_5
The batteries with low electrolyte level were most likely the cause for the excessive gassing.

Batteries start gassing after about 80% charged, if a few bad/low batteries prevent the charger from finishing the cycle properly, the good batteries will stay gassing above the 80% mark for an extended period of time.
Thank you that makes sense to me, nice to be sorta sure what the problem was and how to fix. Thanks again.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
SB77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car