lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-02-2019, 08:13 PM   #1
CobraEatr
Not Yet Wild

Default 2011 Yamaha 48V 6-seater is very slow

Last week a friend gave me his 2011 Yamaha 48V 6-seater golf cart. Model YDREX, JW9-F4236-01. It was rarely used.

At first it wouldn't charge, but I found out that the Trojan batteries were run down very low. I charged each battery individually and then I was able to get the Yamaha charger to work. It charges up fine now and all batteries read 8.1 or 8.2V. The total pack voltage is 49.5V.

After I got the batteries charged I took the cart out for a spin. It is incredibly slow. My phone's MPH app said my top speed was 10 mph. I realize that it's a 6-seater, but d@mn this thing is slow. Is this normal? If not, what can I do to speed this beast up? New controller? My plan is to lift this thing 6" and put 23" tires on it. That should give me a few MPH, but I want this this to get this cart into the mid-20s.

Also, how do I know what "G" model this cart is? Is it a G29? Is it a DRIVE model? Thanks in advance.
CobraEatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-03-2019, 10:08 AM   #2
LPnTX
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2011 Yamaha 48V 6-seater is very slow

Your batteries are bad. Also, if you plant to lift it and add controller and motor, talk with Scotty B or Don Plowman of Plowman's Carts about this. Both are site sponsors and highly recommended
LPnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:40 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

You can have a yamaha authorized dealer do a PTV speed code on the stock controller. (Which would enable 19mph). But it wont help with crappy batteries. And if you think its gutless now, just wait until you put those big tires on there. The stock controller is pretty hopeless with big tires.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:03 PM   #4
Btap312
Not Yet Wild

Not to jump in your post, but I also have batteries that are a few years old Yamaha 48v all stock. The total is about the same (8.2 individual and 49.5-50 total) although by numbers it says they are bad, I am able to use the cart for a couple hours without any issue.. voltage after couple hours of use is at 47-48 still.
Btap312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:26 AM   #5
OxlandYamaha
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraEatr View Post
Last week a friend gave me his 2011 Yamaha 48V 6-seater golf cart. Model YDREX, JW9-F4236-01. It was rarely used.

Also, how do I know what "G" model this cart is? Is it a G29? Is it a DRIVE model? Thanks in advance.
The model already gives away what "G" model your cart is.

Yamaha DRive Electric (YDRE) All DRIVE models are G29. These serials go from JW1 till JW9. The model after that became the DRIVE2.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf serialnumbers yamaha till 2015.pdf (171.4 KB, 0 views)
OxlandYamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:42 AM   #6
wjrich100
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
You can have a yamaha authorized dealer do a PTV speed code on the stock controller. (Which would enable 19mph). But it wont help with crappy batteries. And if you think its gutless now, just wait until you put those big tires on there. The stock controller is pretty hopeless with big tires.
What's a "PTV speed code", and would that upgrade be applicable to my 2006 G22?
Thanks
wjrich100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 01:55 PM   #7
cgtech

Yamaha

If your G22 has a Hitachi motor & moric controller, I think an '06 should, it can get speed code. PTV Speed code is a unique code written in the controller (in the software), and kept on file at yamaha. If you get a dealer to install the code with their specific equipment, you can get 19mph on stock 18"tall tires (only yamaha dealers have it, and no I won't copy it for you, wouldnt work without the hardware anyway).
Old 02-01-2020, 06:38 PM   #8
wjrich100
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
If your G22 has a Hitachi motor & moric controller, I think an '06 should, it can get speed code. PTV Speed code is a unique code written in the controller (in the software), and kept on file at yamaha. If you get a dealer to install the code with their specific equipment, you can get 19mph on stock 18"tall tires (only yamaha dealers have it, and no I won't copy it for you, wouldnt work without the hardware anyway).
Can the dealer program it off the cart or do I need to get the cart to the dealer?
Old 02-02-2020, 11:22 AM   #9
cgtech

Yamaha

The dealer is supposed to verify you have some equipment, like lights, mirror, reflectors. So, I'd say they want to see the whole cart.

That being said, I made a plug/pigtail that allows YDRE controller programming out of cart, so it is possible, but not officially offered.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:36 AM   #10
wjrich100
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
The dealer is supposed to verify you have some equipment, like lights, mirror, reflectors. So, I'd say they want to see the whole cart.

That being said, I made a plug/pigtail that allows YDRE controller programming out of cart, so it is possible, but not officially offered.
Thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha