lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-01-2020, 01:29 PM   #1
LT4Ryan
Getting Wild

Default Rotational squeak from motor

Hey guys, 48v 2008 Precedent here, all stock.

Really enjoyed the holiday down time to go through the cart fully and restore it back to new with rear end fluid change, new leaf springs and bushings, and front end lube. Overall, it now rides like new and I love it. Now that it's nice and quiet, I noticed a rotational squeak coming from the motor. It's the factory motor. I have a whine while I drive full speed, but when I take my foot off the accelerator I can pick up a rotational squeaking - I especially hear it when I pull into the garage. Any ideas where I should start looking at a fix?

To be honest if I have to pull the motor I would rather just swap it. Are there any good upgrades? I only play golf with it, so I don't plan on a lift or larger tires (might eventually do 14s on street tires), and I'm not interested in doing more than 18-20mph. What are the milder guys doing? :)

Thanks!
LT4Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-01-2020, 08:51 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Rotational squeak from motor

That is more than likely just the motor brushes and is nothing at all to be alarmed with. Your options if you wanna replace it is the Bandit upgrade from PQ https://plumquick.com/bandit-electric-motor-golf-cart/ or another is the D&D speed motor https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/p...car-iq-regen-2. You can also get motor parts here https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/motorrepairparts or call David Hicks at Revolution and ask his expert advice.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:23 AM   #3
LT4Ryan
Getting Wild

Thanks for the advice! I will leave it as-is for now, but I really like the idea of sending my motor in to be rebuilt - seems like a better option and as goofy as this sounds, that handle looks like a lifesaver on the PQ motors. I had the access panel out to remove the rear shocks after the HD leaf spring upgrade and removing the motor looks like a nice way to cut your arms up and try out new cuss words!
Old 01-02-2020, 11:00 AM   #4
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

When you remove the motor you can use a strap around the motor to lower it to the floor. Tie it off to the seat frame or something to keep it from falling to the floor. These things are pretty heavy the way you have to reach for them. Trust me the handle is great. I wish all cart motors had a handle.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 01:30 PM   #5
LT4Ryan
Getting Wild

Great idea on the strap. I've watched some videos and understand these are 50lbs or more motors, so I certainly respect the task.

Slightly off topic, but I saw this comment in another thread (on a much older on-road post), and was wondering what was meant by it and if it's something worth trying? If so, how would I go about it? I googled for accelerator pin and found nothing but cables and pedals:

"I just rebuilt a motor on a stock 48v club car and put fuel tubing over the accelerator pin. Sometimes the worn linkage prevents the throttle from putting out 100% signal. The fuel tubing over the pin alleviates that. I got it to 18mph."

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 01-02-2020, 09:52 PM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

That is done when you are not getting 100% on your throttle signal. It makes up the the slop/wear in the linkage.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car