lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-26-2021, 12:17 AM   #1
RXVChris
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2016 RXV - First Cart Questions

Hello guys and gals. Just bought my first family buggie and have a few questions for the gang. Searched on the forum and have read some great information so far.

The cart is a 2016 Elite RXV. Seller got it from a golf course who was getting a new set. Came with new wheels (14") and tires, all new bearings (supposedly), new LED front and rear lights, windshield, and claims the batteries are 3 years old.

Few questions:

(1) As I begin to learn to work on this thing, what are some of the first items I should check and think about replacing/upgrading?

(2) How do I know how "healthy" my batteries are? What tools/instruments do I need to test and what am I looking for?

(3) I'd like to do a mild 3-4" lift on the cart with the same wheels and a slightly larger tire. Recommendations on lifts would be appreciated and also, I'd like to understand what other upgrades do I need to consider with larger tires and the lift? Motor, controller, or?

(4) Brake lights are either on or off with the front lights and do not activate a brighter setting when the manual brake is depressed. Is this a faulty install with the new LED lights or is there a modification necessary to make this happen?

I'm sure I'll encounter more as I learn and reach back out. Thanks ahead of time everyone!!
RXVChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-26-2021, 07:17 AM   #2
jneubig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2016 RXV - First Cart Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXVChris View Post
Hello guys and gals. Just bought my first family buggie and have a few questions for the gang. Searched on the forum and have read some great information so far.

The cart is a 2016 Elite RXV. Seller got it from a golf course who was getting a new set. Came with new wheels (14") and tires, all new bearings (supposedly), new LED front and rear lights, windshield, and claims the batteries are 3 years old.

Few questions:

(1) As I begin to learn to work on this thing, what are some of the first items I should check and think about replacing/upgrading?

(2) How do I know how "healthy" my batteries are? What tools/instruments do I need to test and what am I looking for?

(3) I'd like to do a mild 3-4" lift on the cart with the same wheels and a slightly larger tire. Recommendations on lifts would be appreciated and also, I'd like to understand what other upgrades do I need to consider with larger tires and the lift? Motor, controller, or?

(4) Brake lights are either on or off with the front lights and do not activate a brighter setting when the manual brake is depressed. Is this a faulty install with the new LED lights or is there a modification necessary to make this happen?

I'm sure I'll encounter more as I learn and reach back out. Thanks ahead of time everyone!!
1. Time to make it your own. If it does not have a voltage reducer (48v to 12v), that would probably be the first thing I would look at adding. If it doesn't have one, you are probably drawing off one battery for your lights which over time will affect the entire pack.

2. You need to get yourself a good multimeter and learn it's functions. Will come in handy for all aspects of owning an electric vehicle, not just batteries. Keep them fully charged and watch the water level carefully. Always refill with distilled water.

3. Lifting an RXV can be sort of a trick bag. They do look very nice lifted. If you go with tires over 20.5" tall, it is advisable to swap to a 350 amp controller. It is not an inexpensive conversion unfortunately.

4. Sounds like your rear lights are simply running lamps and not brake lights. Do you have a turn signal lever on your steering column? If so, you should have the deluxe kit and can make the brake lights function. May be just a simple addition of a switch or it may not be wired for that function at all. I've seen both on aftermarket light kits.

Finally, remember the RXV is basically a computer on wheels and cutting or touching the wrong wires together can roast some very sensitive electronics and get very expensive. Stay away from the key switch wires and don't try to silence the reverse buzzer by cutting wires. Can cost you well over $1k. I usually just put a piece of gorilla take over the buzzer hole which makes it much quieter.
jneubig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016, new build, rxv
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO