lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-03-2009, 11:32 PM   #1
aforsberg
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Undercarriage Rust?

Hey, I bought a fixer upper, and already sanded/painted the top and it looks great, But now I can see there is a lot of rust under the cart and I was wondering what I could do or what Products I could use to protect it....?

Thanks!
aforsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #2
coolwilly
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Undercarriage Rust?

power wash first. then wire brush it or d a sand it as best as you can. you have to draw the line on how clean you get it'. just remember paint doesnt stick to dirt. then i would seal it with a epoxy primer. get it at any paint shop. i prefer a ppg product called dp40 epoxy primer 1 to 2 coats then just dust it with a flat back . good luck
coolwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 05:21 PM   #3
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Body shops are using some stuff called "POR-15". They say you cover the rust area with no prep and it stops the rust dead. Sand the por 15 and paint over it.
It's only available at auto body paint stores. We got some for a roof of a van. We'll see....
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:42 PM   #4
dock98
doin it in the desert

Yamaha

POR-15 is a high-tech, high performance rust-preventive coating designed for application directly on rusted or seasoned metal surfaces. It dries to a rock-hard, non-porous finish that won't chip, crack, or peel, and it prevents rust from recurring by protecting metal from further exposure to moisture.
POR-15 is sensitive to UV light (sun) and must be topcoated before prolonged exposure to sunlight. POR-15 is cured and strengthened by exposure to moisture and will dry faster under extreme humidity, but moderate to dry atmospheric conditions are most desirable when applying this product. That�s because extreme humidity may cause an immediate surface cure, trapping carbon dioxide gas below the surface. When this happens, bubbling may occur. Extreme humidity at the time of application may also interfere with proper adhesion of the POR-15 coating to bare metal because it is almost impossible to keep the metal dry under such conditions.
Use it to coat rusty frames, floor pans, farm equipment, marine equipment, or even a heavily corroded battery tray.
Typical cost of POR15 is around 25 dollar a pint .
good luck.
dock98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:47 PM   #5
dirtysouth
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smile Re: Undercarriage Rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dock98 View Post
POR-15 is a high-tech, high performance rust-preventive coating designed for application directly on rusted or seasoned metal surfaces. It dries to a rock-hard, non-porous finish that won't chip, crack, or peel, and it prevents rust from recurring by protecting metal from further exposure to moisture.
POR-15 is sensitive to UV light (sun) and must be topcoated before prolonged exposure to sunlight. POR-15 is cured and strengthened by exposure to moisture and will dry faster under extreme humidity, but moderate to dry atmospheric conditions are most desirable when applying this product. That�s because extreme humidity may cause an immediate surface cure, trapping carbon dioxide gas below the surface. When this happens, bubbling may occur. Extreme humidity at the time of application may also interfere with proper adhesion of the POR-15 coating to bare metal because it is almost impossible to keep the metal dry under such conditions.
Use it to coat rusty frames, floor pans, farm equipment, marine equipment, or even a heavily corroded battery tray.
Typical cost of POR15 is around 25 dollar a pint .
good luck.
I didn't think ya had it in ya dock... You been holdin' out?
dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:58 PM   #6
dock98
doin it in the desert

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtysouth View Post
I didn't think ya had it in ya dock... You been holdin' out?
i told you not to tell.lol
Old 07-04-2009, 11:00 PM   #7
dirtysouth
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dock98 View Post
i told you not to tell.lol
I'm bad with secrets... I'm touched you know.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:06 PM   #8
dock98
doin it in the desert

Yamaha

Quote:
i know,i know.lol;
Old 07-04-2009, 11:11 PM   #9
pizzamaker
****tard supreme
E-Z-GO

Quote:
i just bit my tung!
pizzamaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:53 PM   #10
dirtysouth
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzamaker View Post
i just bit my tung!
Are you makin' fun of me??? That's one of my problems...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO