lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-30-2009, 01:45 PM   #1
onbz
Not Yet Wild

Default what is this????

I have what i belive is a 1980 ez go gas powered golf cart and i dont know what this part is or how to wire it.It has three wires comming off of it ....One is red one is black and one is green any help????thanks onbz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02751.jpg (89.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02753.jpg (105.5 KB, 20 views)
onbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-30-2009, 01:53 PM   #2
Scottsu150
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: what is this????

it looks like a voltage regulator, where do the wires go?
Scottsu150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:58 PM   #3
onbz
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottsu150 View Post
it looks like a voltage regulator, where do the wires go?
thats what i thought it was too but i dont understand how it works or where the wires go any help?????/thanks onbz
Old 10-30-2009, 02:17 PM   #4
Scottsu150
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

my carts electric but my dune buggy has something similar, my guess would be the red is from the alternator/generator, the black is going to the battery, and the green is for a voltage gauge but i could be leading you in a totally wrong direction. new to this stuff also. good luck
Scottsu150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:57 PM   #5
rcbipeflyer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

You have a voltage regulator in the picture. I have an 86 and here's where my wires go.

D- Black wire goes to the "C" terminal on the stater solenoid
DF Green wire to "DF" on the stater/generator
D+ Red wire goes "A" terminal on starter/solenoid

The configuration from left to right is:
A D C B

Hope this helps
rcbipeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:59 PM   #6
rcbipeflyer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

If I could only type... Starter
Old 10-30-2009, 06:00 PM   #7
onbz
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbipeflyer View Post
You have a voltage regulator in the picture. I have an 86 and here's where my wires go.

D- Black wire goes to the "C" terminal on the stater solenoid
DF Green wire to "DF" on the stater/generator
D+ Red wire goes "A" terminal on starter/solenoid

The configuration from left to right is:
A D C B

Hope this helps
im sure it will thanks onbz...
Old 11-02-2009, 02:57 PM   #8
onbz
Not Yet Wild

Im not seeing my voltage go up on the battery when i have the voltage regulator installed on this.Should it go up a bit from the off position .For example the battery says 12.75 volts when the cart is not running / should it go up to 13 volts or higher when running, so i know that it is charging up the battery? thanks ONBZ
Old 11-02-2009, 05:19 PM   #9
rcbipeflyer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

If you connect a voltmeter to your battery and start the engine you should see the voltage drop a volt or two and then increase back to say the 12.75volts.
The voltage regulator could take the battery to 13-15 volts depending on the internal setting of that regulator. But you will see the voltage increase, up that cut-off point and then slowly start to drop off until the voltage regulator see the need to start charging the battery once again.
You should also feel the voltage regulator click to start and stop charging during these cycles.

Possibility you may have dirty contacts on the relay. They can be cleaned if you're up to the task.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:22 PM   #10
onbz
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbipeflyer View Post
If you connect a voltmeter to your battery and start the engine you should see the voltage drop a volt or two and then increase back to say the 12.75volts.
The voltage regulator could take the battery to 13-15 volts depending on the internal setting of that regulator. But you will see the voltage increase, up that cut-off point and then slowly start to drop off until the voltage regulator see the need to start charging the battery once again.
You should also feel the voltage regulator click to start and stop charging during these cycles.

Possibility you may have dirty contacts on the relay. They can be cleaned if you're up to the task.
could i take it out and still charge the battery? if not i will try the cleaning idea...thanks rc
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO