lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-17-2009, 12:46 PM   #1
Waterbug
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Workhorse 350 Engine Fix

I just traded a fourwheeler for a very nice 2001 350 Workhorse.Its lifted with nice tires and wheels and in very good shape. The guy I traded with was riding it and the oil line on the front of the motor came off and ran it out of oil. He already had the motor out, so I didn't see it run, but he said it smoked really bad.Now, I pulled the head off and everything looked good, exht valves a little rough, the cylinders look great, and I filled them with some WD 40 and it stayed all morning so I think rings are good.Now, what I think is new valves and seals in the head then try it and see.What yall think? I'm new at this, so thanks for any help!
Waterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-17-2009, 12:55 PM   #2
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Workhorse 350 Engine Fix

If the motor ran out of oil - then there's more damage than what you can see with the head off...

I'd suggest a complete tear down or replacement...

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:00 PM   #3
dock98
doin it in the desert

Yamaha

welcome to BGW Waterbug
dock98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #4
Waterbug
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thats what I first thought, but it looks so good!I was hoping maybe it was just the valve seals leaking.It had real good compression, just turning it by hand.I'll have to weigh my options. The oil line came off the top, so thats why I was thinking top end damage. I wish I could see it run,but thats a $120 gamble.I'm excited about having something new and ready to ride.It looks great,I'll try to get up some pics soon.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:05 PM   #5
Radicalgolfcarts
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

If I were you I would just lap the valves and clean them up real nice if there is no wear. Or if there is wear I would just replace them. It wouldnt hurt to put a new set of rings in since you already have the motor out!! So many times I just do this or that and I end up pulling the motor twice, and thats never fun to do something that you should of just done the first time!!
Radicalgolfcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:07 PM   #6
Waterbug
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Workhorse 350 Engine Fix

Thanks for the Welcome!It's nice to have a site where you can get good first-hand info!Thanks!!
Old 11-17-2009, 01:07 PM   #7
Radicalgolfcarts
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Give me a call if you want to 989-697-3080 or 989-992-7601
Radicalgolfcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:09 PM   #8
Waterbug
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks! Like I said, I really want to see it run.But, like everybody this time of year, the budget gets tighter!
Old 11-17-2009, 01:22 PM   #9
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

You can download a service manual, or pick one up pretty cheap that has the rebuild process laid out fairly well for an intermediate to advanced mechanically minded person.. but most important, it has the factory tolerances.

If you have the engine out, partially disassembled, it only makes sense to tear it all the way down ( I would..low oil means aluminum stuck to the crank)
and use those specs before you put it back together.

You can put the top end back together by those specs, have good compression,
and still have low end damage that won't be noticed till you fire it up, at which point it will make a lot of noise and seize up..

The problem is that connecting rods aren't cheap, nor is a crank... If the lower end has just a little damage now..say a connecting rod and the crank is messy..
you can get out relatively cheap.. If you fire it up and a rod breaks in the wrong spot...it can come out of the block..

Have you held the top of the pistons and rolled the crank back and forth ?
csason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:39 AM   #10
ruredy
Born Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesmotortoys View Post
If the motor ran out of oil - then there's more damage than what you can see with the head off...

I'd suggest a complete tear down or replacement...
I agree..... if it has been run without oil the rods should be messed up.
These engines have no rod bearings, the rod itself is the bearing. like csason said, "low oil means aluminum stuck to the crank" right now you can fix it with what we like to call , The right way. or you can fix it the right way later, it'll just cost more.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO