lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-04-2009, 11:54 AM   #1
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Stinky Gas EZGO

Thought I'd start a thread to assist those with an EZGO Gas that "SMELLS" when running...

We recently recieved a truckload of 2006 EZGO TXT Gas. Some of these carts put out a terrible odor when you drove them. None of them were burning oil, the compression was great - everything was normal, except for the "smell".

We first fully serviced every cart, adjusted the valves, flushed out all the old fuel (they had been sitting for a few months) and that helped only a few carts. We removed one of the mufflers and I could notice some "carbon" buildup in the exhaust - it made me start thinking what would cause this carbon build up?

Since the new MCI motors have a "guard" over anything important, I first cut off the guard over the carb (2 rivets and a removable plate). Everything looked fine - AT FIRST...

The more I looked at the carb (OK, I'm very anal about things being right), I noticed the the choke seemed to be not fully opening. This was right! In nearly all the carts, the choke cable was about 1/8" too tight. These carts had been running for two years with partial choke, causing the carbon build up.

Before I went out and started slapping 'HIGH 5's", we installed a new MCI muffler and the smell went away immediately. With much experimentation, we found that plugging the smaller exhaust tube, filling the muffler with Muratic Acid, let it sit for a few hours and then flush out, that this process fully cleaned the muffler.

MCI mufflers are around $230.00 / each, so I wanted to come up with a decent economical solution to report. I considered the "Muffler BBQ" method, but in having a Salt Water Swimming Pool at home, I know this Muratic Acid cleans everything! DO NOT CONFUSE MURATIC ACID WITH SULPHURIC ACID!

We tried numerous things - this whole process has taken me a few weeks on "on and off" head scratching and experimenting.

I hope that this can help someone in the future...

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-04-2009, 11:59 AM   #2
Radicalgolfcarts
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Stinky Gas EZGO

Gives me something to think about. We have had the same problem on carts in the past.
GOOD INFO!!!!
Radicalgolfcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:04 PM   #3
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Another "exhaust" smell we have seen has come from the muffler outlet being crushed...

Old 12-04-2009, 12:22 PM   #4
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

I thought you were going to say you found a skunk under the seat.
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:24 PM   #5
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfcarfixer View Post
I thought you were going to say you found a skunk under the seat.
Skunk would have been an easier repair

Old 12-04-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

I will keep that fix in mind,do you think it is an ongoing problem or just isolated to the cars you got. I just had an ez-go dist. come by and wants to set me up with some new cars,said he liked my operation.
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:33 PM   #7
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfcarfixer View Post
I will keep that fix in mind,do you think it is an ongoing problem or just isolated to the cars you got. I just had an ez-go dist. come by and wants to set me up with some new cars,said he liked my operation.
Thats awesome for you I think it is an isolated incident, but something that could happen to any model, any brand, gas golf cart. Normally, I would send the carts back if they show up and don't meet my expectations (cheaper to pay transport charges than to fix them). These were too clean to pass up, and I had the time to experiment. I've had many cars over the years that could of had this potential issue. One thing you can say - You never stop learning

Old 12-04-2009, 03:02 PM   #8
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Sticky!!!
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:20 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Just today I was tuning a '97... it was in for frame repairs and was a hard starter. I noticed the plugs were black and the cart had the smell.... I suspected what you found! I will check out the choke...
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:20 PM   #10
monkey-1
Monkeylicious

E-Z-GO

Great information. Thanks Mike!
monkey-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO