lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-02-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
markstree
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 96 fe290 club car die's out and back fires

hi..i have a 1996 club car with a kawasaki fe290..it drive great for a few feed then it die's and back fire's then run's..then does it all again..i was told it was the fuel pump so i replaced it..then i was told to cut the rpm limiter ground and i did...still have the same problem..can anyone help please
markstree is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-02-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
markstree
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 96 fe290 club car die's out and back fires

i was also told it has the 1997 motor
Old 05-02-2010, 09:18 PM   #3
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you look at the engine from the passenger side with the seat up. Try to start it in neutral and see what direction it spins. Counter clock wise is a 96 or older, clockwise is a 97 and newer. Also my 99 cart says clockwise by the clutch if i recall
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:29 PM   #4
markstree
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DEATH View Post
If you look at the engine from the passenger side with the seat up. Try to start it in neutral and see what direction it spins. Counter clock wise is a 96 or older, clockwise is a 97 and newer. Also my 99 cart says clockwise by the clutch if i recall
well it wont turn over in neutral..i put it in drive and started it and it moved counter clock wise if that does it the same as neutral
Old 05-02-2010, 09:41 PM   #5
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

Then you have to have a 96 or older engine. It will start in neutral, put in neutral, look at the gear selector inside the engine compartment. Pull the yellow thingy by under micro switches and turn it till the tab makes the microswitch arm push in. push the gas pedal and it should start
Old 05-03-2010, 08:45 AM   #6
knotso
Not Yet Wild

Hey Mark, Welcome to BGW. Try taking an extra spark plug with you and check to see weather or not you're getting spark? I had a problem like yours..Ended up being the rpm limiter on mine.But you said you unhooked that? If you enter key words and search this forum you'll find plenty of info on your problem which might help you out? Good luck
knotso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:38 AM   #7
markstree
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

club car teck's told me its a 97 motor installed in a 96 cart when they ran out of 96 motors..i don't know..i know that the ignitor isn't under the rpm limiter bracket like it show's they are on a 96 motor..the teck told me it was built in with the coil like the 97 motor..does any of that make sense..
Old 05-03-2010, 11:11 AM   #8
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well as with all manufacturers, Maybe it is a 97 engine with 96 configuration but its ccw. I hate those years when stuff changes as they do some things and certain carts have different years stuff on it. A lot of vehicles are like that.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:20 PM   #9
crash12888
Gone Crazy

If there is no ignitor under the rev limiter then you have the updated coil.

Can you explain a little more about a few feet? Is it 2 or 3 or longer?
Trying to determine if the spark is breaking down prematurely then kicking back on which is causing the backfire or you are going farther and the RPMs are hitting the rev limiter.

If you will do this test you can isolate your problem.
Disconnect or unplug everything from the wire that comes from the coil under the shroud,
If it runs fine you have determined the coil/ignitor assembly is good and you have a bad rev limiter or a intermittent short in the kill circuit.
Plug the wire from the harness back into the coil/ignitor wire, leaving the rev limiter completely disconnected, if it runs fine you have a good harness (grounding circuit from cart) and a bad rev limiter.
If it does act up when you plug the grounding wire in the rev limiter is "probably" good and you have a bad micro or wire in the grounding circuit.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:01 PM   #10
markstree
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

ok...when i disconneted the rev lim ground wire and tap'd it off it started running better..now if i dint it 5 miles of stop and go it will only mess up once or twice when i get back onto the gas..it will spit and spudder a few time's and the run fine and the back fireing has stop'd..is there a way to get it to keep running intill the key is turned off??
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car