lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-31-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
genaris
Not Yet Wild

Question G3 starter slow to start

I have a G3 gas, when I push the gas pedal the starter turns VERY slow and it takes about 15 seconds to spin the motor fast enough to get going. any ideas? I was thinking its not getting enough voltage to it. Does it have a voltage regulator or something? any way to connect the starter directly to the battery to test it? It has a fully charged battery..
genaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-31-2011, 10:07 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: G3 starter slow to start

Is very common to have bad connections on older yamaha, especially the ground cables/wires. Check those (both cables) on the battery (clamps) and to starter/engine first and clean, see it that helps it. Make sure the belt is not slipping. If not its possible the brushes are going or solenoid but wire issues are far, far more common. If it still does it carefully see if a large cable or its connection is getting warm after you crank it, that will be the problem area. Move slow to connectors they could get hot.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:46 PM   #3
genaris
Not Yet Wild

What is the last connection before the starter?
Old 06-02-2011, 07:03 AM   #4
stuff4mason
G8 Club Founding Member

Yamaha

You probably should do two things: 1) go ahead and replace the brushes in the starter housing (easy and cheap to do). Most of the time they are full of black dust (don't breath it in!) and 2) Make sure your belt from the starter to the engine is real tight. A loose belt will make a whinning noise.
stuff4mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:55 AM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The battery cables go to the starter and run it, smaller wire is for other things such as ignition. So your problem will be with large wires and/or their connections, the solenoid or starter/generator itself, or the belt is slipping which you can see if you look closely. If a bad connection it will get hot from restricting current.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:02 PM   #6
genaris
Not Yet Wild

I know the belt isn't slipping, I'll go ahead and change the brushes, thanx
Old 06-02-2011, 05:14 PM   #7
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by genaris View Post
I know the belt isn't slipping, I'll go ahead and change the brushes, thanx
Sho probably nailed it, Old cables on Yamahas are notorious for corrosion, If you do brushes don't forget cables positive and ground.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:58 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I've had a bunch of them not start right and it was simply the battery clamps or the other end of those cables was dirty.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:29 PM   #9
genaris
Not Yet Wild

I replaced the brushes and cleaned all connections, it still has a long hesitation before taking off, but not as bad.......
Old 06-12-2011, 11:08 PM   #10
crash12888
Gone Crazy

What about the cables?
1st, put the cart in neutral of remove the drive belt.
Take a set of good quality jumper cables and connect the black clamp on one end to the starter ground and the red to the starter lug that the cable from the solenoid is bolted to.
Connect the other end of the set black to the neg battery post first and then touch the pos clamp to the pos battery post.
Does it spin right away?
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha