lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-06-2011, 09:31 PM   #11
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

Default Re: I need your full honest g1 opinion

Best 2 cycle cart by far, Tough as nails. Not many accessories for them.
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-07-2011, 04:55 AM   #12
Todd Dolfi
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Here,s one with a 10" lift I had for two years now and love it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dads 058.jpg (190.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Image0325(2).jpg (66.6 KB, 32 views)
Todd Dolfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:28 AM   #13
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Our RC club voted to buy a 79 G1 to transport "stuff" back and forth to the landing strip. I was one of a few that voted against it, and was outvoted. I felt that it was too old to bother with and 2 stroke was a thing of the past. (I have a 97 G16 as my personal cart and that one is nice, but paid $2200 for that and had to put $200 into it right away). Well, we got the G1 and after using it for a while my mind has been changed. Luckily, the G1 is in pretty good shape mechanically and really runs like a top. I think we paid $400 for it. We have some plans to replace the rusty old workbox attached to the back with a wooden flat bed. We haven't had it that long but I'm glad I got outvoted now! You need to look em over pretty close when you buy to make sure you're not getting a money pit. RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:50 PM   #14
The kid
Getting Wild

What's a common problem that they usually have
The kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:55 PM   #15
Tonka329
Smoov az a gravy sammich

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by The kid View Post
What's a common problem that they usually have
I had mine for 5 years and I just had to BBQ the muffler... I really miss it!
Tonka329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:45 PM   #16
xd675x
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Like some other people said, it's pretty dependable, but does require a little more attention than a newer one. Motor parts are very easy to come by as are most other parts. Accessories...have to make them fit or build your own. Here's what mine looks like -->http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/membe...1-project.html
xd675x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:51 PM   #17
The kid
Getting Wild

Thanks for all the replies guys Todd I love yours what size tires are they and xd675x I like your lower profile setup
The kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:12 PM   #18
xd675x
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

They are 12" with Lo-Pro tires. PM for more info.
xd675x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #19
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

G1 was ahead of its time and possibly one of the best carts ever, as proven by how many are still around and running. That said they are noisy, smelly, don't ride the best, but are tough as a brick and will go faster than any other stock cart on the planet....which is not that fast but not bad. I had one to 30mph+ with only a few mods to the engine, the outside was all stock. It would really scream if you kept it on the floor for a couple hundred yards.

So if that fits your bill then its a good cart for you. The issue is they ARE getting really old and many people do not care for them. You may have to repair/replace a lot of parts to get the car to run right like it should. The clutches wear out, the frame can rust out usually near the battery, the front end parts can be all loose, the shocks can be bad, the seats and body are obvious. Wiring problems plague older yamahas but at least are cheap to fix. You need a fresh bore if you want power out of any 2 stroke so figure on that and do a compression test, but cylinders are pretty cheap. If you lift them you often have to mod the frame to pass the clutch and fit 22s on them. Today they are not the best looking cart either, but I would take one over other older carts.

Here people think they are still worth a lot of money, I looked at a beat up one for $500 and thought why on earth would I pay that. I'd like to have one again to play with but no way am I paying much for a 25 year old cart. So I would be careful about price and the condition of it. You can get maintenance parts easily except the original square looking clutch they had, far as I know. Lifts and such are out there but not like for other carts, most are minimal lifts. If you weld you can make your own its not that hard to do and similar to G2/9 lifts.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:21 PM   #20
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

G1's pop up frequently around here on Craigslist, commonly for $500- 750, sometimes as much as $1000. I agree, a lot of money for an old cart. Two things drive this price- decent carts seem to start at about $2000 and there are constant Want-to-Buy offers of $500 for carts in any condition. I compare this to buying a $1500 car(automobile). Yeah, it runs (now) but it is unrealistic to expect it to be trouble-free and not need a bunch of work. In both cases you are really buying OLD,WORN OUT JUNK and as long as you look at it that way,you will be OK. It is a starting point for your custom buggy.The advantage is G1's have a simple, rugged design and even 25 years later can be rebuilt and made fully functional and reliable if you are willing to put the time and money into your purchase. If you have to hire someone to do the work, it's not worth it. This is a DIY project.
Judging from the threads that have been started recently, there are a lot of these buggies being dragged out of the bushes and sold, and many of them are showing their age.
If you are planning on purchasing a G1, look it over carefully before buying. You may find a creampuff, but don't plan on it.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha