lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-02-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
sdub1
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default My first cart build, g9 in progress

I bought my first cart a few months ago. It was in good shape for it's age and ran good. After driving it around for less than a day, twice I found my self pushing it off of small terrain obstacles. Well, that was the first and last day I owned a stock G9.
BGW members have inspired me to do? well, I guess we will see if I ever finish it. Here are some pics of what I started with. Many more pics to come from a newbe with limited skills when compared to a MOST of the BGW members. Thanks to everyone for the millions of great ideas and their limitless input into this site.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golf cart g9 (2).JPG (78.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg golf cart g9 (4).JPG (83.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg golf cart g9 (6).JPG (93.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg golf cart g9 (10).JPG (74.3 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg golf cart g9 (12).JPG (51.4 KB, 40 views)
sdub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-02-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
jmz
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: My first cart build, g9 in progress

Wish mine looked that good when I bought it .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golf cart 026.jpg (211.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg winterfest parade 011 golf cart.jpg (192.5 KB, 51 views)
jmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
sdub1
Getting Wild
Yamaha

jmz, yours looks great now.
I found mine on craigslist for $350. The man said it had stopped running years ago and he wanted it out of his garage. When I went to pick it up, I checked the vitals (compression, spark and trans). I payed the man, had it running on a makeshift fuel supply by the time the seller came back with the bill of sale. Let it be known that after talking to the guy the FIRST time. I did recomend that he have someone check it out because it may only need a simple repair. He told me to come and get it! And I did!
Old 09-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
sdub1
Getting Wild
Yamaha

After finding a post on home made front suspension lifts, I decided to build my own. I liked the idea of saving some money, intergrading a front hitch and most of all, dusting off some "not so good" long lost fabracation skills Thanks to another post I saw, I decided to change the factory shocks to gain some more suspension travel and better adjustments for varying loads, I HOPE! Here are some pics of the tear down. I found frame rust under the battery in a few spots and the rocker panels that rivet to the sides are also rusted (nothing new to most of you with old yami's ). Other than that the frame lookes pretty good despite what it looks like in the pics. I am also going to remove the cross member for the swing arm and replace it with a much heavier one. And new brackets to lower and move the swing arm back as I have seen in many other BGW post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1659.jpg (231.2 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1663.jpg (193.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1662.jpg (192.9 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1664.jpg (179.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1661.jpg (243.3 KB, 49 views)
Old 09-02-2011, 10:50 PM   #5
jmz
Gone Wild

Yamaha

This is what I did to mine. I also moved the wheels forward two inches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blake cart 008.jpg (216.3 KB, 54 views)
jmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:08 PM   #6
sdub1
Getting Wild
Yamaha

That looks real aggressive. I dont think I will get that kind of travel out of mine. I have mounted Honda gold wing airshocks on all 4 corners. I have made, powder coated and test fited the front end. More pics to come in a day or two of the test fit. I also moved front end forward 2" and 2" wider.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:35 PM   #7
sdub1
Getting Wild
Yamaha

jmz, I tried two different set up's for the front end. The first mock up was two soft with to much travel and I did not like the way it looked. The second seemed better for what I want to do with it.
I hate to show the pics of the FIRST mock up, but here they are. If at first you don't succed, through it out, spend more money and have more fun!!!!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1657.jpg (207.6 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1656.jpg (166.7 KB, 38 views)
Old 09-03-2011, 08:42 AM   #8
Dlcain
Gone Completely Insane

Club Car

Cart is looking great sdub1 ! I think you got a steal on that cart for just $350 ! How did the goldwing shocks work out? You and JMZ are more then welcome to come over and post in the G9 club. would love to have some more G9'rs over there :)
Dlcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:08 PM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Looks like a fun project, too bad about the frame rust. I guess I got lucky with my 84 G1 I started last week. The whole battery tray was missing and I was lucky enough to find a salvage section to burn in. Good luck, hope it all works out!
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:41 PM   #10
sdub1
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Hi there Dlcain, to early to know on the Gold wing Shocks. They feel really good on the mock up. Slight lift when pumped up, and nice and soft when deflated. They really seems to compensate well for extra loads. Front and rear are adjustable separately and I will add the Honda pump and valves if it the shocks pass the field test (If I ever get it done). Here are some pics of the custom brackets for the shocks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1771.jpg (213.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1772.jpg (101.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1780.jpg (104.8 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1781.jpg (130.9 KB, 45 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha