lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-08-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
CrazyMedic
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 Reverse

I have an 1980 G1 2 stroke and have rebuilt both solenoids and it will go in forward but not reverse, both solenoids click but wont go in reverse. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.
CrazyMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #2
makobuggie
Gone Wild

Default Re: G1 Reverse

ive been working on my solenoids, i dont no to much about them, sounds like a wire is crossed, i need to rebuild mine to , were did you get your rebuild kit? good luck.
makobuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:47 PM   #3
CrazyMedic
Not Yet Wild

When I bought the cart the guy had already bought them somewhere. I also wonder if there is a possibilty of the brushes in the starter being bad.
CrazyMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:45 PM   #4
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Solenoids are electrically-operated switches. When power and ground are applied to the two small wires, the solenoid is activated and a circuit is completed across the two large terminals. Just like a light switch in your house, except instead of your finger flicking the switch to turn it on, it is done electrically.

Reverse is attained by reversing polarity to the starter motor, so if the brushes were bad, it would not turn in either direction.

You need a voltmeter to properly test the solenoid's operation.
Here is a link to help you diagnose your problem. Read the post by Caddylac Camper:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...-solenoid.html
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:24 AM   #5
chompy
Getting Wild

Try this test for stock solenoids (82 -86). Take off the rubber caps on the solenoids. Engage the vehicle in reverse. Now take an old screwdriver and bridge the terminals on the backside of the reverse solenoid, with your foot still on the accelerator. If it starts up then your reverse solenoid is bad. If it doesn't start up then, with your foot still on the accelerator, bridge the terminals on the frontside of the forward solenoid. If the vehicle starts then your forward solenoid is bad.
chompy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Chompy, Thanks for reposting this info. I was looking for it, but couldn't find it.

I am pretty sure these guys have the early style solenoids like the ones pictured below. Is there a quick test for those?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Motor%20back%20in.jpg (139.4 KB, 13 views)
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:57 AM   #7
chompy
Getting Wild

I am sure the test could work on these solenoids but I have not taken the time to figure it out. If I get a cart in with the older type solenoids I will check it out.
chompy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha