lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
jmste755
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 Engine Bay, What's What?

Hi all. Just getting started with our 89 G1 (J31). Had some trouble with it yesterday not turning over & found the 'sticky' on here extremely helpful. I'm very new to the cart & to engines in general. Any chance someone can point me to a diagram of what's what in the engine bay? Pics with arrows to stuff as elementary as the muffler, gas tank, ect. I'm interested in the solenoids, ect. on the passenger side rear wheel also. If this is possible, that'd be most helpful & possibly others, who are too embarrassed to ask, might find use for it too.

Thanks.
jmste755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-08-2012, 07:00 PM   #2
Field6565
Gone Wild

Default Re: G1 Engine Bay, What's What?

Go to www.yamahagolfcar.com and download the owners manual. Lots of good info there. That should be a good place to start.
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Solenoids are for forward and reverse, it runs the gen/starter either way and picks the ignition pickup to use for either direction. If it stops working one way but works the other way then you know it is one of them.

Air filter is center about between rear shocks, air goes to carb then into engine, out engine into large muffler tube by floor. Clutches are primary on engine and secondary on trans, with large belt drive. That should cover most of it, the important parts anyway.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

G1's are pretty simple, and being a Yamaha they are designed to last...congrats on your pick! I'd say study this site as much as you can "before" you do any mods. As far as diagrams, I found that having a "Service Manual" was extremely helpful, as well as a few good pics from here on the site.

Good luck and have fun!
slonomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:40 AM   #5
jmste755
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the link to the manual. I'm finding all of this very useful. I guess with it's age & lack of use (until we got it), some things are starting to pop up. Initially it was very fast, now the throttle still opens up plenty, but I get a bad vibration from around the 2ndary clutch, where the belt is. I've tried to drive it while standing backwards on the thing & it looks like the pulley that holds the big belt is loose & wobbles when it reaches a certain rpm.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Oh that is not good a broken sheave can fly off the cart. You mean the secondary, the one on the transmission? You can get them new. They usually wear holes in them and then break off, chew the belt up, etc. Take the nut off and put a puller on the outside sheave, everything will pop off.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #7
jmste755
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
Oh that is not good a broken sheave can fly off the cart. You mean the secondary, the one on the transmission? You can get them new. They usually wear holes in them and then break off, chew the belt up, etc. Take the nut off and put a puller on the outside sheave, everything will pop off.
Yes, the one on the transmission. Looks like it fits onto a shaft & there is a spring between the two peices. Also looks like the only thing holding it on is a small pin, but I haven't looked at it very closely since yesterday.
Thanks again.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The outer one is on a taper with a key. The inner one slides on a bushing with the spring and helix against it pushing it out...to close the sheaves together. The helix (the hub with ramps) sits on the shaft against a snapring close to the trans case. There is a pin in the end of shaft in case the nut comes loose it would not fall off.

http://www.tntgolfcar.com/yamparts.php?diagramid=642
Old 01-10-2012, 07:58 PM   #9
jmste755
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
The outer one is on a taper with a key. The inner one slides on a bushing with the spring and helix against it pushing it out...to close the sheaves together. The helix (the hub with ramps) sits on the shaft against a snapring close to the trans case. There is a pin in the end of shaft in case the nut comes loose it would not fall off.

http://www.tntgolfcar.com/yamparts.php?diagramid=642
Thanks so much. As soon as I'm able to take a day, I'll take that first piece off & kind of inspect it to see what might be causing the wobble.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:09 AM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

There's a woodruff key on the shaft as well, that holds the outer sheave and fixes it to the shaft. The inner sheave is loosely fit with the helix that holds that spring and uses plastic ramps to grab the inner helix next to the trans. It sounds complicated but it's not.

A couple things you can do since you'll be working on it:

1. Obviously check for wear on orig parts. If heavily worn, and most G1's are since they are old, replace sheaves, spring, ramps, belt, as a unit. This will ensure that you are getting max performance. I got my setup from Plowman's Carts. Don Plowman is highly knowledgeable on these G1's. Good guy.

2. Aftermarket power spring will give you more low end power for climbing hills and towing if you wish. The white spring you see on most web sites is pretty stiff and might be too much. I have the red spring from Plowman's Carts, although I haven't switched it out yet. Still have the white one.

3. If you disassemble the secondary sheaves, be careful. Loosen the nut on the shaft but leave it on there a few threads. This will help catch the sheaves when the puller pops it off there and it won't go flying and hurt you.

4. When reinstalling it, it helps to have a buddy there to thread the nut on for you while you push the sheaves on and compress that spring by hand. If you don't have a buddy, you can use a ratcheting cargo strap to pull the inner sheave in to compress the spring while you install the outer sheave, keyway, and nut. Works good, just tricky when you release strap.

5. Also a good time to disassemble and clean/lube the primary clutch. These often get neglected and it should be done regularly. Go easy on the lube.

You can find pics and info on all this here on the site. You have to do a search on what you are looking for and you'll have to dig a bit, but it's all here.

Good luck!
slonomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha