lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-12-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
dukehbg
Not Yet Wild

Default PDS Powers off and back on when driving

I have an 04 PDS with F/R on dash. Ill be driving along with my cart that has a speed chip in and lately within the last year it will 'cough' or shut off like you just turned off the key and either completely stop like the PDS will do then power back on or just 'hiccup' and keep going.. its been happening more often now. What could or would this problem be? Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Duke
dukehbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-12-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: PDS Powers off and back on when driving

The Reed switch or a loose connection someplace.
From the symptoms, I'm leaning towards the Reed switch, but connections ought to be checked/cleaned/tightened also.

Here's the charger receptacle with the cover off. The Reed switch is the black blob between the small red wire that attaches to the positive radsok and small white wire that connects to the red wire that disappears into the cable bundle.

The purpose of the Reed switch is to disable cart while on charge and was a high failure item, so it was eliminated on later carts.

For testing, jumper the Red wire in the cable bundle (it goes to J-1 Pin-5 on a PDS controller) to B+ on battery pack (Positive post on front-right battery)

To fix it, replace or bypass Reed switch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charger receptacle with top off.jpg (71.7 KB, 13 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
dukehbg
Not Yet Wild

Ok I will try that tonite.. I may sound dumb as I know alot about carts but the J-1 and B+ can you show me or describe better the jumping? How do I determine if its that for sure if it only does it sometimes when running just jump and leave like that a while?
Old 01-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #4
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Can you supply us with a little more info about your cart? Is it stock? Is it lifted with larger tires and if so how large? Any upgrades to the drive like a controller or cables?

It is possible that the controller is beginning to fail. Has it ever dropped to just a crawl? Not off and On but just slowed down to a crawl? Controller damage is cumulative and it sounds like possibly a controller issue.
Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #5
dukehbg
Not Yet Wild

I believe the controller is stock with speed chip. The suspension upgrade from ezgo but not a lift. 12inch rims and street tires nothing outragious. Never gone to a crawl like that or at least that I can remember just usually when driving at full speed like a hiccup sometimes or complete power off then right back on sometimes or power off which stops the cart fast then comes back on..
Old 01-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If this hiccup happens under load it may be the first sign of a defective battery in the pack. So check the batteries closely; voltage & SG.

It could be a solenoid starting to fail too?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
dukehbg
Not Yet Wild

Ok Lots to look at now ;-( thank you..
Old 01-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukehbg View Post
Ok I will try that tonite.. I may sound dumb as I know alot about carts but the J-1 and B+ can you show me or describe better the jumping? How do I determine if its that for sure if it only does it sometimes when running just jump and leave like that a while?
Yep, troubleshooting an intermittent problem is a royal pain in the behind.

The red wire needs to be connected to the same battery terminal that the white wire from the battery charger connects to. The heavy cable to the solenoid, also connects to this terminal.

Some guys make a jumper cable with a ring terminal on one end and push on terminal on the other while others pull the red wire out of the bundle, shorten it and put a ring terminal on it, and other guys solder the small red and small white wires together in the charger receptacle.

However you do it, the positive battery pack voltage has to be applied to Pin-5 of J1 of the PDS controller or it is shut down.

Of course, as mentioned in the other replies, the problem could be the battery, the controller, the solenoid or some other things, so it'll take some testing and troubleshooting to find or eliminate the possibilities.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:09 PM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

If it ends up being the reed switch, you could opt to save the $30 - $40 and simply get in the habit of running your charger cord through your steering wheel. This serves the same purpose of avoiding driving away while the charger cord is still connected.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #10
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

4 passenger?
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO