lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-08-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
cronek28
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Adding electronics on a electric cart

I have a quick question. This is probably a simple question and most of you can laugh at me now because wiring and electronics makes me dizzy. I have a 36V older electric cart if I put a radio in it do I have to put a voltage reducer to bring it down to 12V? Thanks in advance for any help. If this is what I have to do any advise on the cheapest way to do this?
cronek28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
cronek28
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Adding electronics on a electric cart

any ideas guys? maybe not a radio just an amp with speakers and input for an mp3 player? Can any body help with how to wire something like that?
Old 04-11-2012, 06:42 AM   #3
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

If you have 6 volt batteries, I think you can hook up the radio to 2 of them wired in parallel. One of the sparkie guys can tell you for sure.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #4
cronek28
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
If you have 6 volt batteries, I think you can hook up the radio to 2 of them wired in parallel. One of the sparkie guys can tell you for sure.
Thanks for starting to get my ball rolling I appreciate it
Old 04-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
rocknrone
Romans 1 : 16 Unashamed

E-Z-GO

I believe Dave meant that you could just hook up to 2 of your 6 volt batteries wired in series, not parallel. That is the cheapest way to do it, but you will put a strain on those 2 batteries, and eventually, could cause an imbalance in the pack depending upon your usage of the accessories. Hope this helps. The alternatives are a voltage reducer which I use, or you could get an extra 12v deep cycle battery to run the accessories off of.
rocknrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:41 AM   #6
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrone View Post
I believe Dave meant that you could just hook up to 2 of your 6 volt batteries wired in series, not parallel. That is the cheapest way to do it, but you will put a strain on those 2 batteries, and eventually, could cause an imbalance in the pack depending upon your usage of the accessories. Hope this helps. The alternatives are a voltage reducer which I use, or you could get an extra 12v deep cycle battery to run the accessories off of.
Yep, that's what I meant.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
cronek28
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrone View Post

Thanks........ Im guessing voltage reducer is the way to go. I was kind of hoping I would get recommendations of going the in series way just because I don't want to spent another 150 on a reducer on top for the deck amp and speakers...... maybe I should just pick up a dewalt workplace radio :) thank you guys for helping me
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha