lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
Jason3069
Not Yet Wild

Exclamation Winter Storage -32deg.f 2009 Yamaha Drive

Hello All,
We just purchased a 2009 Yamaha Drive and live in Northern Minnesota. Unfortunately we need to store it in a non-heated garage however, there is electricity. Should I make sure the water levels are satisfactory in all the batteries (2009 12v Trojans) and just leave the charger hooked up all winter?

Another option is we could take the batteries out of the cart and store them in our basement, (not a fun task) but if it means saving the batteries we would do it.

The temps will be falling fast so we would appreciate your suggestions.

Thank you, Jason
Jason3069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
Courtesycartguy227
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Winter Storage -32deg.f 2009 Yamaha Drive

the owners manual says to remove the batteries from the golf car and store them in a cool, dry place that stays between 32`F and 90`F and have the batteries recharged every 60-90 days to keep them fully charged. The batteries must be kept fully charged to avoid damae. I know you said the garage is not heated but if your garage stays above 32F then I would leave them in the cart and keep the charger pluged in. If you have to take them to your basement then put them on a 2x6 and not on the ground. Just charge them with a charger that you use to charge a car with.
Courtesycartguy227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:58 PM   #3
kev2504
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I read the same in the owners manual. I was told by a couple different cart stores, not sure if they are dealers, to fully charge the batteries, set the run/tow switch to tow, and leave it till spring. After reading some different threads on batteries, I would guess if you are going to let the cart sit for up to 6 months, like here in Wisconsin, for the winter, to just pull out the batteries and mantain them till spring. Or find a place that will store your cart and charge the batteries for you.
kev2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:00 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You can also purchase a Battery Maintainer that will keep them charged all winter in the cart. I use one on my car that sits all winter. It's microprocessor controlled and it keeps the battery topped off. They make them for carts.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:40 PM   #5
kev2504
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I like that better than having to take the batteries out.
Would you happen to know where to get one of them? I suppose I could search the web.
Thanks
kev2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:24 PM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Search for "Battery Tender". That is what I use on my car and I know they make a version for golf carts. Worth the $$ if it makes your batteries last.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2009 yamaha drive, battery storage, storage, winter storage
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha