lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
GAC
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Starter problem

I have a 1991 Carryall, took for a drive got done and parked it. Went to start and it just barely turned over then quit turning over. Hooked up a battery charger with a start mode 30amp and it still would not turn over but solenoid clicks but starter does not crank. Tested and am getting power to the starter when pedal is depressed for starting but does not turn over at all.
Took starter off was going to replace but thought I better ask first. Should I try to put new brushes in or get new starter or try something else? Thanks
GAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: Starter problem

Can you turn the starter pulley by hand?
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #3
GAC
Getting Wild

Club Car

Yes, I have the starter off and it turns easily.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
GAC
Getting Wild

Club Car

I actually turned belt by hand and motor turned over before I removed starter.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Try charging the battery first and see if it will hold a charge, if your battery is totally bad, the charger alone may not be sufficient. Had that issue with cars before but not a cart.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
GAC
Getting Wild

Club Car

Ok, I have a start mode on my battery charger and even in that mode I couldn't get it to turn over. I'll try charging it tonight before I try ordering a new starter.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

I do know about the start mode that you said you used, but sometimes a overcoming a bad battery is too much for it. Is the battery marked with the date of installation?

I do have a spare starter/generator in my basement if that ends up being the problem. It ran on a KF82 motor I bought in October and worked fine on it. I'll sell it to you at a fraction of the cost of a new one. But I'd make sure the battery isn't your issue first.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #8
Buickguy
Getting Wild

Club Car

I would suspect the battery first. Cranking draw can be upwards of 300 amps or more, so a 30 amp boost would help but not necessarily give the current required. Cold weather and cold oil can make the draw even higher, which is why aging batteries seem to always fail in the winter.
If you have a known good battery around, you may try putting that in. Even if its the wrong size, its just a test. Replacing with known good is better than jumping. As Springbok pointed out, a failed battery can put a load on the charger or battery you are jumping from and still not allow enough cranking amps through. Removing the suspect battery takes it out of the equation.
Buickguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #9
GAC
Getting Wild

Club Car

Is there a bench test that I can do on the starter? Or maybe take it to my local auto supply house and have it tested.
Thanks for you info and if I decide it's the starter I will hit you up for yours..
Old 02-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #10
Buickguy
Getting Wild

Club Car

You can check the resting voltage and get an idea. after a full charge, with an hour or two to settle after, the voltage should read 12.6 or thereabouts. If it is lower than 12.2, the battery is aging and it it drops under 12, I say time to replace. Of course, that is a static test.
Most auto parts stores have load testers and will test your battery for free. Taking it there will give you are more definite answer than the static test you can do at home.
Buickguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car