lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #11
santanateek
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: waterproofing the motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmar143 View Post
Brushed motors need to breathe to release dust otherwise all that dust will eventually get trapped between stator and armature and lock it up entirely. The drive doesn't have many high amperage upgrades for sand and stuff like ez go and club cars do because of the throttle and regen system. With a series style motor-controller combo you could have way more options to make a torque and speed monster. Even with a regen club car or ez go you could do something that would have no problem pulling a boat through the sand. We have a 48v series cart with 700a ge controller and 13hp motor that we use to launch and pick up boats and that is driving through sandy roads because there are no paved roads on the island. The drive is limited however with options for high amp outputs unless you are willing to change your throttle system and then purchase new controller/motor combo.
I'm no cart expert so forgive me if I don't know the right terms. I've stripped all the other electronics like the solenoids, ignition switch, beeper, everything. All I'm planning to use is the big resistance coil that hooks to the throttle, and switches to reverse the armature so I can go in reverse. Batteries, coil/gas pedal, switches, thats it. Ive already driven it around this way and it works. It is an older cart, 36v, so I dont think I need anything else right? Im using all new heavy gauge wire. I wanted to make it as simple as possible. I'm not looking for speed.

Btw I just bought some sweet paddle tires for $30 on craigslist that fit my 8" rims.
santanateek is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-13-2013, 06:16 PM   #12
cmar143
Gone Wild

I would recommend adding another battery or 2 to make 48v and get at least a 500a controller and run it with your current motor and you will get torque and speed increases.
cmar143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #13
mtpolarbear
Polar Bear wild to you...

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by santanateek View Post
I wish. This would be fine to get it out of the water, but I need some way to get the trailer about 80-100 feet out into the water to get it deep enough. Pushing it by hand with a dolly with beach tires would be possible, if I always had several big guys there who didn't mind getting wet and cold. The sand slopes very very gradually and the boat has a keel so I cant just dump it on the sand. The nearest launch ramp is 15 miles away, which is 3 hours by sailboat.
Personally I would use the boat ramp 15 miles away. Just my $.02
mtpolarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #14
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpolarbear View Post
Personally I would use the boat ramp 15 miles away. Just my $.02
Agreed. Or, buy an old Jeep and throw some fat tires on it. It will rust too, but it would be safer than an elevated battery pack and chassis.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #15
santanateek
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
Agreed. Or, buy an old Jeep and throw some fat tires on it. It will rust too, but it would be safer than an elevated battery pack and chassis.
I've thought about this. It doesn't work then that might be what I go to. But the cart cost me $40 and the brand new batteries were free. All totalled, I'll have about $200 into this little experiment and if it doesn't work I can find other uses for the batteries. Funny you mention it, because even at the marina in town they can't launch boats on the ramp at low tide. They have a 1500 Chevy up on stilts with a huge diagonal drive shaft. The engine and steering column are about 10 feet off the ground. Pay the guy 200 pesos and he will launch and retrieve for you. That was part of my inspiration for this.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #16
mtpolarbear
Polar Bear wild to you...

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I've thought about this. It doesn't work then that might be what I go to. But the cart cost me $40 and the brand new batteries were free. All totalled, I'll have about $200 into this little experiment and if it doesn't work I can find other uses for the batteries. Funny you mention it, because even at the marina in town they can't launch boats on the ramp at low tide. They have a 1500 Chevy up on stilts with a huge diagonal drive shaft. The engine and steering column are about 10 feet off the ground. Pay the guy 200 pesos and he will launch and retrieve for you. That was part of my inspiration for this.
Peso's, where are you at?
mtpolarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #17
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
...They have a 1500 Chevy up on stilts with a huge diagonal drive shaft. The engine and steering column are about 10 feet off the ground.
Wider, longer, safer.

....and still crazy, LOL!
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:10 PM   #18
santanateek
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpolarbear View Post
Peso's, where are you at?
I'm in Phoenix but this project is for Puerto Penasco, Mexico. The jerry-rigged stuff down there is unbelievable. Fishermen using 2-liter bottles as buoys, ***-backwards cars. My franken-cart will fit right in. And I have just launched on the ramp, but that means I can only launch at very high tide (sometimes impossible) and I have to re-rig the boat (45 minutes plus a major PITA), drive into town (20 minutes), and then motor or sail the boat around town and 3 hours later get back to where I started. Then do it all over again at the end of the weekend. If I could leave the boat at the house, rigged (with the 26' mast up) and just drive it down the beach into the water it would save me at least 10 hours per weekend that I'm down there.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:44 AM   #19
crryallcrwler
Gone Wild
Club Car

Best bet would be to throw a fat lift on it
crryallcrwler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #20
santanateek
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by crryallcrwler View Post
Best bet would be to throw a fat lift on it
Although that would look cool, probably wouldn't do much due to the depth of the water. I need to be about 5-6 feet deep, which would be one serious lift.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha