lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #11
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: JohnnieB's sleeper build - Part-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
That is my plan.

Just got to figure out how/where to mount the support bracket(s) for the shunt. Then measure the cable length needed.

Did you vent the white thingy (Piece of a cutting board?) for air flow through the shunt?
It's HDPE left over from my Tesla coil primary supports. I didn't vent it. I'll go for a long ride tomorrow and see if it gets hot enough to warrant venting, which would be pretty easy to do.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Verified that max sustainable speed is 28 MPH.

My test route was a half mile stretch of smooth pavement without any cross streets or houses. I got a steady 28 on a GPS in both directions, so it is as close to level as you are going to find in this neck of the woods.

That means I'm spinning the motor at about 6,400 RPM, so I won't be doing that very often.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #13
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Those shunts don't usually get very warm. Easy to check though after a short run.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:06 PM   #14
Knothead
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Other than raising the center of gravity and perhaps increasing wind resistance, lifts are more or less performance neutral.
However, the 22" tire height is costing you about 20% of the torque being generated by the motor.
Although mine is ridden on the neighborhood streets fairly often, I built it for offroad use (turkey hunting is my passion!). The extra ground clearance is actually a definite plus......
Knothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:50 AM   #15
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Those shunts don't usually get very warm. Easy to check though after a short run.
I'll try and get a few volunteers and go up the steepest hill I can go up, without getting written up in the HOA newsletter.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:02 AM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knothead View Post
Although mine is ridden on the neighborhood streets fairly often, I built it for offroad use (turkey hunting is my passion!). The extra ground clearance is actually a definite plus......
Turkeys are relatively scarce on this forum, but plentiful on a golf cart forum whose name I won't mention.

-----------
Golf carts have many uses and increased ground clearance is needed for some of them.
If I needed more ground clearance, I'd lift my cart and widen the track to offset the higher center of gravity.
A 4" lift with 2" wheel spacers would probably be the max for me.
Tire height, which also increases ground clearance, would probably be no more than 20" due to the torque loss.
I'd also steer clear of low pressure tires and super wide tires due to the rolling resistance.

-----------
BTW: The only wildlife hunting SWMBO and I do, is with cameras, but we do punch holes in paper and small inanimate objects with lead projectiles.
The goal for our cart was to get to our favorite target range and back without going below 60% SoC.
The round trip by car is only 20 miles, but we have to stick to back roads with the cart, so the round trip becomes nearly 30 miles.
That translates to a 38 Mile range at 50% Soc.

I don't know if I accomplished the goal yet, but I'm pretty sure I did.
I ran it about 15 miles yesterday and only dropped the pack to 80%.
I started the run with the pack fresh off float charge (46.2V) rather than At-Rest, so it wasn't a true test, however the batteries haven't been broken in yet, so they will get better. After a week or two of daily discharges down to no more than 75% SoC, I'll figure out what the max range is.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:41 AM   #17
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Turkeys are relatively scarce on this forum, but plentiful on a golf cart forum whose name I won't mention.
I think I visited there back in 2009, but found here, and never went back.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:44 AM   #18
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
[COLOR="Blue"]
BTW: The only wildlife hunting SWMBO and I do, is with cameras
Film or digital?
Old 07-18-2013, 07:30 AM   #19
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Film or digital?
Digital these days, but I still have a couple film cameras and some fairly decent lenses for them.

SWMBO's the artist and I'm the technician. I can take a technically correct photo of most anything, but lack the ability to "see" with an artist's eye.
Of course, the automation built into today's cameras takes care of nearly all the technical stuff, rendering most of my photographic skills more or less obsolete.

A couple of her photos were used in a locally produced calendar and a macro photo I took of a pet rock she painted was published in an artist's magazine, but she set up the shot. All I did was tweak the lighting a little and pushed the shutter release.

However, for the most part we just take snapshots.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:19 AM   #20
Knothead
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
-----------
Golf carts have many uses and increased ground clearance is needed for some of them.

-----------
BTW: The only wildlife hunting SWMBO and I do, is with cameras, but we do punch holes in paper and small inanimate objects with lead projectiles.
The goal for our cart was to get to our favorite target range and back without going below 60% SoC.
The round trip by car is only 20 miles, but we have to stick to back roads with the cart, so the round trip becomes nearly 30 miles.
That translates to a 38 Mile range at 50% Soc.
It sounds like you'll be able to go on vacation in your cart when the batteries get broken in........

I've been driving "jacked up" 4x4 trucks with big tires for 30 years, so will admit that the Redneck in me likes the "cool" factor of the lifted buggies with huge tires, but I knew going into this that the bigger tires would cost me torque & range. That's why I don't have 25" or larger tires on it now. I use the buggy to cover ground quietly while turkey hunting, so range is a concern, too.

My daughter & I love to "critter watch" (she doesn't hunt, but loves to shoot cottonmouths with her .22), so we slip around on the buggy and sneak up on deer & turkeys in the woods around the house all the time.

On another note.......enjoy all the time/activities with the SWMBO that you can while you've got her! I lost mine to cancer 2 yrs. ago this September. You never realize all the little things you take for granted until they're gone........
Knothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO