lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-15-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
larryo587
Not Yet Wild

Default 2001 ezgo txt not working.

The cart was given to me sat up for about 1-1/2 years and maybe went in some water. Took it all apart and rebuilt it from the ground up. Im trying to get it running and having trouble. I have brand new batteries, solenoid, heavy duty forward/reverse switch, and controller. I looked at all the diagrams in that section on here and everything seems to be right. The very first time I turned the key the motor "twitched" then nothing. Batteries measure 42.v weird thing is I can take the positve off the battery and all 4 of the terminals on the motor go 40ish volts. Vice versa if I take off the ground and leave power connected. Do I need a new motor or to get this one reworked?or can something else be wrong
larryo587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-16-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2001 ezgo txt not working.

You mentioned a HD F/R switch, so I suspect you have a series drive rather than a PDS, but need to know for sure to troubleshoot.

In either case, does the solenoid click when you push the pedal?
If not, the problem is in the solenoid activation circuit.
If so, the problem is in the high current loop.

Measuring 42V on the battery pack is high for a 36V system and low for a 42V system, so I suspect you have a 36V system and the voltage was measured too soon after the battery charger shut off to get an accurate SoC estimate.

The voltages on the attached chart are take 12 hours after the charger shuts off automatically.

Measuring the voltage on the motor studs with either the B+ or the B- cable disconnected from the battery pack, isn't a test measurement I'm familiar with, but it would appear that you have a carbon dust buildup in the motor (normal) and the cart's frame is grounded to the battery pack (abnormal). However, that is a secondary issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JohnnieB's SoC Chart.JPG (66.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:53 PM   #3
larryo587
Not Yet Wild

The solenoid clicks everytime the pedal is pushed. It is a 36 volt system I might have gotten 40.2 volts but the batteries are brand new and have never been charged yet. I see nowhere where the ground current can be connected to frame I will take motor down to further inspect inside. What else can I try
Old 08-17-2013, 11:59 PM   #4
larryo587
Not Yet Wild

Oh and yes non pds can the throttle speed sencor cause any of this? Also let me add. I let it sit up for a couple days changed the solenoid the very first time I pushed the pedal the motor/tires twitched. Then nothing every other time I pushed it. I brought it to a local golf cart place and they told me it had to be either the motor or controller and 99 percent of the time it was the controller so I bought a new one. In the mean time I disconnected from batteries. Couple days later the controller came in I installed and the first time I pushed the pedal it went to go again but I let off fast thinking it was working then when I tried again same thing... nothing
Old 08-18-2013, 04:40 AM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryo587 View Post
...the batteries are brand new and have never been charged yet.
Start charging them before proceeding. New batteries need to be charged. You can place the cart on jack stands and troubleshoot while charging.

Go here and read up on battery break-in procedures. Read everything about batteries there, and Trojan has a great number of documents and videos on their website.

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter...n_Methods.html

Others will come along and help you troubleshoot.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:55 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Like yurtle said, charge the new batteries.

Since the solenoid clicks when you push the pedal when the key is ON and a direction is selected, the problem is in the high current circuit.

Could be the motor, could be the controller, could be the throttle, could be the F/R switch, could be the cables, could be the solenoid contacts, or it could be any of the over two dozen connections tying all the stuff together in a single series loop.

Jack the rear wheels off the ground and put on jack-stands so the half ton cart doesn't take off unexpectedly and run over someone or something.

Connect your DVM's test leads across the controller's B- and M- terminals.
Press the pedal until the solenoid first clicks and no further.
You should read FULL battery pack voltage.
If not, there is an open somewhere in the high current loop.

Here is a schematic with the high current loop highlighted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - Series- Hi-Current traced.JPG (59.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #7
larryo587
Not Yet Wild

Ok weird. Put the key on click the pedal and the cart moves. Drives about 50ft then dies. The pack is reading 39.2 v when I jump b- and m- im getting 38.6 v with the key off or on and pedal pressed or not. I put tje batteries charging turn the key back on press the pedal and now the solenoid isnt clicking. First time this has happened as well
Old 08-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Remove the resistor connected between the large terminals on the solenoid and try again.
(It reduces the arcing when the solenoid's contacts close and prolongs their lifespan, but cart will run without and is not needed for troubleshooting. Re-install once cart is working right)

The solenoid not clicking when charger plug is inserted in the charge receptacle is normal.
The purpose of the Reed Switch is to disable the cart so it cannot be driven away while charger is attached.

What is the pack voltage after cart moves 50ft and dies?
Old 08-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #9
larryo587
Not Yet Wild

It was 38.4 when the cart died I removed the resistor still getting voltage with no key on through m- and b-.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #10
larryo587
Not Yet Wild

What is the 250 ohm 5v symbol for on the main +battery cable should there be something in between there
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO