lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-21-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
Storm S
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Correct Voltage Reducer Connection location

I just purchased my first cart today. It is a 1997 Club Car DS 48 volt (6-8v). I got it used and in need of help. I have been reading a lot here and have figured the drive system out and have that working. This cart has a full lighting system and horn. There is a long resister type of item with thick black wires coming out of each end. A few different websites I found showed photos of this exact item and called it a voltage reducer. And is sold with the lighting kits. But I can not find a wire diagram for it any where and I am trying to find out just how exactly it is supposed to be wired into the system. Any help with this would very appreciated. Thank you for help with this topic as well as the MANY posts I have already learned from.
Storm S is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
Holdnon
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Correct Voltage Reducer Connection location

Hope this might help...

Holdnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
Storm S
Gone Wild

Club Car

I wish but not quite. I have seen lots of reducers that have two input wires and two output wires and that would make sense. this one has two small wires at one end and ONE big wire at the other. I can not post links yet but if you search ebay for item number 111069468101 you will see what I am talking about. Thanks....
Old 08-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Ok, that's a 16-12 reducer- not good. It will put stress on two batteries and will shorten the life of the entire pack. You should really consider getting a 48-12 reducer that uses the entire pack evenly.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
Storm S
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake27 View Post
Ok, that's a 16-12 reducer- not good. It will put stress on two batteries and will shorten the life of the entire pack. You should really consider getting a 48-12 reducer that uses the entire pack evenly.
I understand what you are saying Jake. I would like to try and get this cart going with what it came with and then start changing things out...... With that being said, any idea on how this unit is wired in?
Old 08-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #6
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

So does it just have the two wires coming out of each end?
If so, I think it just goes inline with the positive of your accessories, then the negative of the accessories goes straight to the negative on the battery. You can use any of the pairs of batteries.
I personally have never dealt with a reducer like this.
Someone that has one of these should come along soon.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

I took one of those off my cart. Connect the large wire to your main neg post. Use the small wires as the neg wire for your lights, etc, go down or up stream of your battery pack to get 16 volts, and connect you pos. lead for your lights
Check voltage with volt meter. It will show 16 volts until you apply load to circuit, then it will show 12 volts on your meter.

I am not a guru, this is the way mine worked.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:05 PM   #8
Storm S
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
I took one of those off my cart. Connect the large wire to your main neg post. Use the small wires as the neg wire for your lights, etc, go down or up stream of your battery pack to get 16 volts, and connect you pos. lead for your lights
Check voltage with volt meter. It will show 16 volts until you apply old to circuit, then it will show 12 volts on your meter.

I am not a guru, this is the way mine worked.
Awesome! Thank you MrGolf. I will try this in the morning. I appreciate your input!
Old 08-21-2013, 10:06 PM   #9
crash test dummy

here is install diagram for oem reducer you have
Old 08-21-2013, 10:08 PM   #10
Storm S
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
here is install diagram for oem reducer you have
Flawless "CTD" thank you. This is perfect!!! Do you agree with with Jake that this should be changed out sooner then later to the other style?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car