lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #11
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Rear bearings getting noisy?

That almost looks like fiberglass matting gone south..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #12
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
That almost looks like fiberglass matting gone south..
yep.....That's what fine shavings look like.....nearly like 0000 steel wool......
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I haven't been able to get the armature out of the motor case to find out for sure, but I suspect the armature windings were wound around fiberglass forms, or something like that, to keep the weight of rotating mass down.

Of course, the pole pieces themselves had to be a ferrous (magnetic) material, and I believe the friction between them and the stator shoes when the armature grew in diameter, generated enough heat to weld them together. I couldn't get the armature to move towards the endcap hitting the output shaft with a sledgehammer while the stator shoe bolts were in and only manage to move the armature and stators only about a quarter of an inch with the stator shoe bolts out.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:34 PM   #14
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I haven't been able to get the armature out of the motor case to find out for sure, but I suspect the armature windings were wound around fiberglass forms, or something like that, to keep the weight of rotating mass down.

Of course, the pole pieces themselves had to be a ferrous (magnetic) material, and I believe the friction between them and the stator shoes when the armature grew in diameter, generated enough heat to weld them together. I couldn't get the armature to move towards the endcap hitting the output shaft with a sledgehammer while the stator shoe bolts were in and only manage to move the armature and stators only about a quarter of an inch with the stator shoe bolts out.
well it sounds like the best thing you could do with it is to weld an "eye" on the end of it......it would make one great BOAT ANCHOR!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #15
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

I'm no expert but I'd say that it done blowed up.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:20 PM   #16
Knothead
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
I'm no expert but I'd say that it done blowed up.
Around these parts, we call that "spewed"!
Knothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #17
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Back to the original topic, if the motor over-revved, so did the rear end guts. That's why I was asking, though what failed in the motor probably wasn't bearing failure.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:57 AM   #18
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Back to the original topic, if the motor over-revved, so did the rear end guts. That's why I was asking, though what failed in the motor probably wasn't bearing failure.
I'd agree that the rear end components probably spun faster than they were designed to spin but I seriously doubt that whatever additional rpm was present did any damage. Seems to me that plenty of spin these rear ends way faster than the designers had in mind. There is obviously some sort of bearing issue but not as a result of rpm.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:59 AM   #19
Knothead
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I doubt that any bearings and/or shafts "over-revved", but the combination of age & the stress that was likely put on them when he had the failure could have possibly caused damage....
Knothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:02 AM   #20
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knothead View Post
I doubt that any bearings and/or shafts "over-revved", but the combination of age & the stress that was likely put on them when he had the failure could have possibly caused damage....
Agreed. There was obviously a tremendous amount of stress to the rear end components and likely that caused a failure of some sort. I'd imagine the only way to determine exactly what the issue is a total disassembly.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO