lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
jmarkklock
Not Yet Wild

Default 2003 G22 seems really loud

Hi guys,
I recently added a 2003 gas G22 to the "fleet". I bought it for near nothing, so I expected to have to throw some money in it. It runs really well but it is loud. I replaced the exhaust and that helped but it is still loud. I have a friend that has 2007 G22 and it has insulation panels inside the engine compartment and his is a bit quieter than mine but still louder than most of the gas Club Cars and EZ-GOs in the neighborhood. Are the G22s just loud or is there anything I can do to muffle it without killing performance? I noticed when I installed the new exhaust that it points straight down. It is lifted about 6 inches. The engine is the stock 357 cc. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
jmarkklock is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: 2003 G22 seems really loud

Where'd you get the muffler? Did you repalce the exhaust gasket ? Did it look like the gasket was leaking?
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
jmarkklock
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply smallblock, I got the muffler from a local shop that sells new yamaha golf carts, from everything I can tell from looking at the Yamaha golf carts website, it is the current OEM part. I also replaced the gasket when I replaced the muffler. The old gasket did not look bad/deformed when I replaced it. The old muffler sounded like a rattle when I took it off and shook it, it was without a doubt bad. I did notice a difference after replacing the muffler, it is just louder than other gas golf carts (ez-go and club car) in the neighborhood.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

The JN6 mufflers are no longer available from Yamaha. You must get the Jw1-e4710-00-kt. It comes with a muffler with bad welding on the heat sheild covers (witch can break and cause a rattling noise) and a new rubber "air cooling" coupler. I don't have any suggestions for making it more quiet..sorry. Don't know if the sound deadning foam panels are still available, but could check if you'd like, just don't if they would help that much.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I have, with mixed results, added a few tack welds to the seam of the two halves of the heatshield. I would press a rag against the heatshield breifly while engine is running to determine if the heatshield is "clapping". If you can silence the noise with this test, you can add a few tack welds to quiet it down. I know, this solution kinda sucks, but i dont know what else to say right now with these mufflers. Yamaha ought to give up on this muffler, and go back to the old one. I had a few problems with it, but if i had only known what i was in for with the new muffler.....OH YEAH,, almost forgot, there is no part number for the sound deadeners for Drives, BUT yamaha told me to order the G22 ones, i did, and they fit with very little scissor-work.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #6
jmarkklock
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply smallblock, that part number is what I have.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #7
jmarkklock
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply cgtech, I will try the "rag test". I have a mig welder so I am hoping that is the culprit. Did the sound deadening panels work for you?
Old 09-23-2013, 10:29 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Yep, but it'll still be loud if the muffler is not in order.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #9
jmarkklock
Not Yet Wild

I tried pressing a rag against the heat shield while it was running in neutral. It did not help the noise. The heat shield is not clapping together. I guess the sound deadening panels are next.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha