lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-10-2014, 02:19 PM   #1
Riso
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Looking to buy first cart. Is this a good buy?

I am looking to buy my first cart. This Yamaha is for sell for $350.00. Needs batteries and a charger. I want to keep it electric. Which model is this and is it a good buy?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00b0b_3rJa5DsV34R_600x450.jpg (50.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 00505_dvUEo22BBzj_600x450.jpg (52.4 KB, 0 views)
Riso is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-10-2014, 03:20 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Looking to buy first cart. Is this a good buy?

Its a G2e, from the '80s. By the time you are done getting batteries and a charger, you will have at least $850 more into it. Its gonna go about 13mph, and if you wanna go faster its stock electrical motor and speed control system would have to be totally replaced ($$$).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:40 PM   #3
Riso
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thank you. It looks like I could go 48V. I have to replace the batteries and buy a charger anyways. What else would I need? A solenoid and cables?
Old 05-10-2014, 06:15 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The resistor coils are marginal, might start melting stuff. They generate heat at any speed other than full throttle (the less throttle, the more heat). I have seen it done, but be careful. You would need a 48v solenoid at minimum.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:27 PM   #5
gadavis
Gone Wild

We have an 88 model G-2 with the resistor setup. It is definitely not a fast cart, but it is almost bullet proof. We have had it for about 12 years and have done a lot of heavy work with it. I use it for a tow truck around the shop and wife pulls a pine straw rake with it. It has gobs of low end power and will sometimes get a hot smell from resistors when she runs it for a hour or so at a time slowly spraying weeds in lawn. I'd rather smell a hot resistor than a controller with the magic smoke pouring out of it from straining it.

In more than 10 years I have put in one set of batteries, (will need batteries in about 2 more years probably),replaced the wiper arm contact,(was broken when I got it), a couple of battery cables and a couple of tires have been replaced. When I want to run fast, we use our Ez-Go Solid state controller carts, and if I want to pull something or do a lot of slow work, I use the G-2 so that I won't smoke a controller pulling it hard. It is the most dependable and trouble free cart I have ever owned.
My wife would run me off if I got rid of it. She has it fixed for yard work. It has a hauling box with a tail gate, extra basket beside the sweater basket for tools, the 36-12 volt reducer for running lights, a 12 volt fan to keep the driver cool and blow away gnats. There is a hook up to power her 12 volt sprayer and a 12 volt power outlet she can plug in an inverter and use for occasional 120 volt tool for a short while or a small house electric fan if she is working in one place like her garden box. It even stands up to grand children trying to run the wheels off it.
gadavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:37 AM   #6
Riso
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sounds like a cool setup. Thanks for the info.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha