lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-20-2014, 08:08 PM   #1
reinman88
Gone Wild

Default Charging question

Going from gas to electric I'm trying to learn as much as I can. My 08 Yamaha should be here this week, hopefully. I downloaded the manual for the 08 and saw something I'd never seen anyone talk about on the forum.

The manual said.

Always put the tow switch in the tow position before charging batteries or damage to the electrical system may result.

I guess I'd never seen anyone say put it in tow to charge, so thought I'd ask if this is what has to be done. Or are they covering their butt by adding that to the manual.
reinman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-20-2014, 11:54 PM   #2
robertakamagoo
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Charging question

When they dropped off the boss aka wife's cart the they said the same thing. He said if electric f's up you wouldn't fry your control.
robertakamagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:18 AM   #3
reinman88
Gone Wild

Thanks, sounds like flip the switch then to be on the safe side.
reinman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:36 AM   #4
robertakamagoo
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Plus if someone try's to take it. It's like a kill switch.
robertakamagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:37 AM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

If you wire a battery "led meter" to the keyswitch or the factory plug for meter,if present, the tow switch will reset the meter wether the batts get charged or not. If you use one of these, and reset the tow switch, run the constant wires directly to the batts. I'm about to get flamed for even referring to the use of a led energy meter, but, just passing along some info.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 03:10 PM   #6
Sevin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have on occasion forgotten to flip the switch into tow mode when charging. I'm not 100% certain if this was the result but I have noticed that the charger goes a bit crazy in this configuration. In Typical, tow mode charging the batteries will charge, the charger will shutdown, and the green 'charged' led illuminates. In the run mode, however, the charger never completely shuts off. The power led will flash and the charger will continue to pull about 4 amps.
Sevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 03:46 PM   #7
cgtech

Yamaha

Red power flashing = equalization mode. Should last up to 4 hr. Should have nothing to do with tow/run switch tho.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:16 PM   #8
Sevin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Red power flashing = equalization mode. Should last up to 4 hr. Should have nothing to do with tow/run switch tho.
Man that's good to know. I figured it was a coincident. Does the charger always perform the equalization sequence? I saw no mention of the mode in the owners manual.
Sevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:37 PM   #9
cgtech

Yamaha

I am pretty sure its in the Charger manual, not the cart manual. The charger dertemines if, and when an "equalization" is needed.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:54 PM   #10
johnk4jmk
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I am a finatic about my batterys anyway,i did this one time by accident and didnt flip the switch,seemed like it took just a little longer to charge,anyway i always put mine in tow so all of your components are protected like your controller.plus make sure you have everything fused right,I have seen some pretty funky wiring when it comes to lights and sterios from people that is sopposed to know what they are doing.hope this helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golf cart 004.JPG (139.5 KB, 0 views)
johnk4jmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha